How do I know if my child's symptons are Swine Flu?

My child woke up this morning not feeling well, and we've had several people in our small community come down with this virus. We have tried to be preventative where this matter is concerned, but you just never know. I have other children, a one yr. old grandson, and an infant niece that I need to be concerned about. This is a scary thing.

ThreeD

Asked by ThreeD at 12:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• you really dont know which flu it is without testing. The seasonal flu is just starting up or hasnt in some areas so most people with the flu now has H1N1, or the (swine flu).
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Does it matter what the virus is called? Treat it as you would any other seasonal virus.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• yes it is getting very scary. the symptoms are the same as a regular flu, vomiting not able to keep anything down,pooping all day,any ind of fever low or high.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Ummmm... angelairelan have you researched the swine flu?? Vomiting and pooping are NOT commons signs of it!! Nor is a low fever so really, your info is wrong.

The common signs are a high fever, bodyaches, headache and usually a dry cough but the cough doesnt come for a day or two after the other symptoms.

But the only way to know if the symptoms are the swine flu is to get him cultured for it. But really... there is no need to do that! Just give him/her motrin to keep the fever down and to help with the pain of the bodyaches. If the cough gets worse, take him/her to the doc to make sure it doesnt turn in to pnemonia.

IMO (and both my kids have had the Swine Flu) rushing to the hospital is NOT necessary AT ALL and is only exposing your child to even more germs
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My therory is "it is what it is." My 6th grader likely had it a couple of weeks ago and now I have a pre-schooler with a cough and low fever (101.) If he gets worse or starts to vomit I'll consider taking him in but I really don't need to expose him to other stuff.

Wash everyone's hands, disinfect things that everyone touches (like keyboards and toilets) and treat with lots and lots of fluids. Practice sanity coughing and sneezing into the elbow instead of the hand.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:00 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• If there are cold-like symptoms and fever. There MIGHT be some vomiting and diarrhea, but they are not common symptoms with any of the flu viruses. (there is a huge difference between the flu and a stomach bug, angelairelan)

The swine flu and the seasonal flu are both running around. If you want to know which one it really is, take them to be tested, risk further exposure to god only knows what and by the time you have an answer he'll be over it and back to school anyway.

The others have already been exposed. Your kid was contagious even before symptoms were apparent. Just continue preventative measures as you have been. If they get the flu..rest and fluids. I have one home with the flu and expect my other two to show symptoms any day now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• Treat it like any flu. If the fever goes way up and/or lasts more than 3 days go to the dr. and let them make an evaluation. I had to take my son yesterday -- his strep test came back positive (tested only b/c he had a slightly swollen gland and we have a his of strep) but until that point the dr. said that she was 99% sure he had swine flu -- high fever, headache and NO cough/sniffles (and that was the part that convinced her he had it).

She did not test him b/c she said the test was NOT RELIABLE and gave the wrong answer almost 1/2 the time so she would go on symptoms -- if it walks like a duck ...

So take general precautions then take him in if the fever continues for several days.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2009