Why does loud noises such as tv, people talking, vacuum and the heater/air conditioner in the van bother my daughter?

We have been to the audiologist, hearing center and to a sedated abr. she has been diagosed with having mild hearing loss in both ears. ow frequency hearning loss in ears. she is about at the stage in her speech where an almost 2 yr old would be and she is almost 4. she is just now starting to say 2 sentence words but kinda not clear.

as far as non verbal sounds. this is what is getting to me. vacuum noise really bothers her, she covers her ears and is almost at the point where she is screaming and in pain. same with the heater/air conditioner in the van. she does the same thing. if the tv is too loud to her she will walk around covering her ears saying " shut up tv" she will repeat it till i mute the tv. if there is a lot of people talking about her she will do the same thing. I dont understand why she is doing this. does anyone have any ideas? thank you.

tarams98020

Asked by tarams98020 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Health

• I don't have an answer but I would like to know too. My daughter is almost 4 and she has the same problem.
    Anonymous

• There is a condition called Sensory integration disorder or disfunction. This has to be assessed by a qualified occupational therapist. With SID the child is oversensitive to some stimuli such as sound, but under sensitive to others such as heat.

My twins have this, they are oversensitive to sound, crowds make them crazy,textures and movement, undersensitive to heat and pain. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It may just be that in an effort to strain to hear the really important parts of English (the ts, ds, js, ks, bs), these particular noise-makers are both loud and in the same range... she may just be trying to hear order in the chaotic noises they make.

My daughter, with exceptionally good hearing, found noises like the hum of fluorescent lights, the din or a loud restaurant, etc., to be extremely annoying to the point that there were places she could not eat.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I was going to respond same as PP. Sensory Intergration disorder. My grandson struggles with this as well as other sensory and tactile adversions. He is NOT on the Autism spectrum. Lots of people assume he is because he share a small portion in common with some Autistic children. Desesitization therapy has made great progress possible for him. Address this with your Pediatrician.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yep, sensory integration. :) Been there, done that. Until she is older, get her ear plugs. Teach her to sign. When it is quiet, take the ear plugs out to talk to her so she can appropriately learn. But save her sanity from loud obnoxious noises.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2009