Can a babies lungs be developed at 36 weeks?

just a weird question...its been on my mind every week......im 36 weeks and 3 days pregnant...im only 1 cm dialated, with irregular contractions for the past 24 hrs. if the baby were to be born within the next few days , do you think everything would be ok?

guitarmom101

Asked by guitarmom101 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Babys lungs can be mature as early as 34 weeks it all depends on the baby...I know for sure if you would go into labor now they wouldnt give the baby steroids to mature the lungs because your already 36 weeks one more week and you will be considered full term. But EVERYONES pregnancy is different and your situation could be way different from someone elses. There are babies born at 36 weeks who have complications cause of the way the pregnancy went and there are others born perfectly healthy. Best way to be sure is to get ultrasounds done on a regular basis Im 36 weeks and 3 days just had an ultrasound done and if my baby were to come now she would be fine. yes they say its just an estimate but who am i going to trust more my ob who has done this for years or people who think they know the answer? Right? are you due Nov 27? cause Im 36 weeks and 3 days like you.....lol
    Chrgrfan

Answer by Chrgrfan at 1:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• also...has anyone ever tried doing acupressure while pregnant....did it work well?
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• they can be developed
    its not a for sure thing

today they might not tomorrow they might be...its a toss up
    Anonymous

• ive been trying the accupressure thing for 2 days now...no results yet
    but dont try it until ur 38 weeks because it might really work for you and those weeks and days could mean healthy or unhealthy baby

goodluck
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yes they can be but I wouldnt count on it. I think that it is very stupid to try to go in to labor at only 36 weeks, sorry but I do. Irregular contractions at 36 weeks is NORMAL and 1cm dilate is NOTHING so your body is NOT necessarily ready to have that baby!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i understand...im just aking...this is my 3rd baby...im very very uncomfortable...i was induced with both boys...and im just trying to take a more natural approach this time...ive been taking herbs and things to help the uterus....squavine....and i just would hate to wait past the due date again.
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• every bbay is different,. my niece was born at 34 wks with no problems. but with my son they gave me 2 steroid shots to develop his lingsat 34 wks he was born at 37. also i had contactios on ad off four wks with both, with my first i was 4 cm at 28 wks and i had her at 38. with my son i went into preternm labor 3 times all were stop i was on bedrest for a month . i was 32 wks and 3 cm. i had him at 37. being dilated doenst mean your going into labor
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It all depends. My daughter was born before 35 weeks and she had no problem. A friends little boy was born at 40 weeks and needed help breathing. There are general guidelines, but every baby is different.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• They can be. I had my youngest at 36 weeks. I had an amnio before my induction to make sure his lungs were developed.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2009