picky eater vs non-interested eater

I have an almost 2 year old ( he will be 2 on sat ) he is very skinny and taller for his age but he's never been over interested in eating and he's SO Very active. He isn't exactly picky and I only offer him things WE are eating but my problem is that he just doesn't care about eating. SO he takes his 2 or 3 bites and then wants to get down to play or he'll sit there and just move his food around on his plate or we do flashcards, then about 45 minutes he gets crabby, I can only guess its from being hungry but by that time, he's too crabby to eat. I don't know how to get him to eat more so now I am the mom who is running after him with food trying him to " just take one Bite" so we can prevent the whinefest 2009 when he gets too hungry -

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wanted to add that, though my son is a good eater, he has problems first thing in the morning and right after naps. I've found the best thing is to walk into his room *with* a small amount of juice or milk and to either have breakfast nearly ready or a small snack for him if breakfast is going to take awhile to appear. Same with naps. If he can put a little something in him right away, he can get to the main meal easier and with a better appetite.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I got no advice for you. I am in the same boat. He is almost three now.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• con't so my question is : how do I prevent him from only eating a little bit and then waiting til he's TOO hungry to eat? he just gets SO crabby from being hungry that its ridiculous to deal with in the AM or after naps too!! He just is so active its like eating takes too much time or something.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Best I can offer is to have set snack times and make him take a break every x minutes or hours to have a small, quick and easy snack. If he's at least eating 3 crackers here or a half a bananna there, it's better than not eating. Keep it on a routine. Slowly add more as he's willing to eat more (as his tummy gets bigger, etc) and spread them out. He'll get back to a more regular eatting pattern, but my be one of those people who likes to snack all day.
    Anonymous

• My toddler grandson has a rare genetic disease that for some reason makes toddlers not gain weight. All three of my sons have the same disease. Its just one part of the disease. We rarely have him sit to eat at the table. We feed him it seems all the time.

I take care of him several days a week. I save leftovers for him and he eats as he plays and does other stuff. The other day he loved bison tacos. He ate sitting on my lap and then while playing. We put food for him on the coffee table so he can feed himself. I slice it and make it easy to eat.
    There are no rules like "you eat what I fixed or you don't get anything else" or "I'm not going to be a slave and make something special" or "don't play with your food."

We just keep feeding him and hoping he will grow.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• fortunately though, my son does not have that or I would be less concerned as long as he ate. But.. I am seriously at my wits end with these fits in the AM and after nap, I can only assume they are from hunger as all other tests come back negative as to why he gets like this. But he also needs to learn as a little person to sit and eat at dinnertime with his family and not get to pick and choose his schedule. I already can not bring him to resteraunts anymore but I also want my child to eat and get nutrients and be healthy.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Some toddlers are grazers. Give him healthy, calorie and nutrition packed foods like tofu cubes, avocado, yogurt, oatmeal mixed with pumpking, etc. He is getting to the age where he should sit at the table for family meals, even if he is not quite ready to eat with the family.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Toddlers are no longer about to double their weight, so it is normal for their appetites to disappear almost completely. That means that 'a couple of bites' is sufficient, truly.

rkoloms is right: make sure the choices are healthy food, and free him to follow his body's needs.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Also, talk to a nutritionist. They can offer foods that are quick to eat/snack and very healthy to help fill him up a little quicker while you are working on patients with him. what about drinks? Does he drink a lot? If so, cut waaaaay back on that. If he's filling up on the fluids, he won't want to eat. But there are filling /healthy drinks you can offer as well if you just need the nutrients for him, too.
    Anonymous

• I have found that when my toddler seems uninterested in eating it's because her schedule isn't right. I used to not be able to get her to eat lunch ever, then I found that what works for her is breakfast at 8:30, lunch at 11:00, nap at noon, snack at 2:30, supper at 4:30, snack at 6:00, and bed at 8:00.

Play around with your little one's eating schedule. You may be trying to get him to eat when he's just not ready to.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2009