Is 11weeks old Husky too big for a pup?

Hi, my husband and I always wanted to have a baby husky.
And we got a luck to find a 11weeks old husky.
I know it's still a puppy but we wanted between 5-6weeks old.

Would 11 weeks would be too big to begin with?
I'm also hesitated since the pup would be airmailed.
I hate my pup to be in the airplane cargo all by herself even for a short period time... :(

I don't know what to do...
Should I just take this pup delivered or wait for a younger pup that we can go and pick up to take her home with us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pets

• 11 weeks is a GREAT age for a pup to leave mom and the litter, pretty ideal actually, dog REALLY shouldn't leave before 10 weeks, 8 at the ABSOLUTE youngest. 11 weeks will still be VERY much a puppy. Staying till 11 weeks is much better for the pup developmentally and you will be more likely to end up with a well adjusted dog that is lest nippy and gets along with other dogs better. Any breeder that would give you a pup at 5-6 weeks is a VERY bad breeder and you should RUN the other way! It's not even legal in a lot of states to sell dogs under 8 weeks.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Opps... lest = less lol
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I agree that its better for the pup to stay with the mother until 11 weeks. The earliest a pup can be taken away is 6 weeks but its better if they have extra nursing time, if the breeder allowed, and learned manners from the mom.

I would drive to get the dog.

I encourage you to consider getting a dog from a rescue. Its common for there to be husky mixes. Sometimes there are even purebreds. There may be a specific husky rescue organization. You may find a puppy.

I have fostered for years. I think the best age to adopt is around 12 months. You know what you are getting. The dog should be potty trained.

You can find dogs from rescues from the whole country at Petfinder.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I went on petfinder and you have to at least look. I saw 3 breathtakingly beautiful pups. Of course I don't know where you live.

Mickey Blue Eyes at Calmandoo Rescue Culver City, CA this 6 mo old puppy looked pure husky and was all white with lots of face fur and these beautiful blue eyes.

Juno at Pierre/Rt. Pierre Area Humane Society, SD a 3 mo (born 7/28) white pup. Beautiful dog.

Sasha at Siberian Husky & Alaskan Malamure Rescue, Sagle, ID is Black & Brown and just beautiful.

There is a resuce with lot of dog in Indianapolis and another in Ohio just for Huskies and there are probably others. There were lots of smaller pups but it was hard to tell what they will look like.

I have a very beautiful dog. She is a blond golden retriever lab mix. There are few dogs more beautiful. Those 3 pups are.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Here in MD as well as many other states it is actually illegal to take the puppies away from mom until they are 8 weeks old. If they can stay with mom until 12 weeks that is the best for you and the puppy. They learn a lot of manners and "rules" from mom and the other puppies in the litter and will be much more socially and emotionally stable than if taken early. A lot of good breeders will not allow their puppies to go to new homes until 12 weeks bc it is better for the puppy and new home. Like a PP said if you can rescue it is better for everyone. Look on petfinder.com or even craigslist.org there are always dogs that need homes.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yeah you'd probably have problems with a dog 5-6 weeks old. Thats too early to be weaned from mama.
    Anonymous

• 11 weeks is a great age for a puppy to come home. Anything younger is detrimental to the pup in many, many ways. Do your research on the person the pup is coming from and make sure she breeds dogs that are health checked and titled in some way (be it showing, or something else). Don't buy the dog if you see any red flags. Shipping a dog is a huge red flag actually. You are better off to go and see the dog.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Just a little advice when getting a Husky... Keep him/her on a lead at all times when you're outside. If it will be living in the house make sure he/she doesn't run out the door if you don't have a fenced yard. We have a wonderful Husky but given the chance she would take off in a heartbeat. They love to run, and any little thing will trigger it. Ours is great with our kids, we actually found her lost in the woods on a trip we were on. We searched and searched to see if we could fine the owners but no luck.. So we decided to keep her. Check in with rescue groups in your area before buying a Husky....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Just to address the airplane issue. I got my standard poodle from a woman who lived in Kansas & had the dog flown to Washington State where I live. The only issue I had with it is that Petal arrived a bit smelly as she was not old enough to "hold it" for the entire flight & ended up pooping & peeing in her crate. She was 10 weeks old when we got her & was happy & well socialized. Petal didn't appear to suffer any side effects for her plane ride.

Rescues are great but it can be difficult if you are looking for a specific breed. Standard Poodles are not common in this area (I've only seen a handful of others) & I searched for months for a rescue & could not find one. Sometimes a puppy can be the best option.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009