sleep training

dd will be 3 months on nov 6 and she will only sleep on me or in her swing. she needs to nurse to fall asleep too. how can I stop this habit? I would like to be able to put her in her crib and either pat her butt or rub her back and have her fall asleep. but generally she will wake up eat, play for an hour or two then eat and sleep for an hour or two then wake up and eat and the cycle begins again... I don't really mind feeding her before she sleeps but its like she NEEDS to nurse to fall asleep and I don't want her to be dependant on that... I finally was able to get her to sleep on me without nursing her but she tried to get to the boob. oh and she WONT take a paci. she fights so hard til it comes out of her mouth. she sounds as if I'm hurting her by giving her the paci. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her sleep in the swing. That is what I did. The motion reminds her of being in your womb.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• She is only 3 months old. The breast is her comfort. Let her go for awhile longer, don't try to make her give it up to soon.
    Anonymous

• Ok, first, to break her from nursing to fall asleep...you let her nurse until her nursing begins to slow (if she falls asleep as she is nursing just nudge her cheek until she wakes). You will learn that there is a steady sucking they do when they are actually hungry and eating and then there is a super slow sucking they do when they stop swallowing. When the swallowing stop, but before she falls asleep, gently break the latch with your finger and lay her down drowsy but not a sleep. Keep your hand on her chest until she settles, then gently move your hand away...repeat, repeat, repeat until it works and you can walk away.

That's about all you can do right now. 3 months is too young to sleep train. Babies brains don't develop to the point to regulate sleep patterns before 6 months.

The method I described is Pantely's and is found in the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution."
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• my son will only go to sleep with a bottle and he's ten months old. so i dont know how to break that habit. they books and advice say to put baby to bed awake in the crib. but it only works with a baby that will let u do that. my son will scream for an hour if i put him down awake. but he does sleep in his crib. i would say let her sleep in her swing or just get her to sleep and put her in her crib and if she wakes up, get her to sleep again and try to put her in her crib again. try to start during the day when she takes a nap cuz at night ur gonna be so tired u will do anything to get some sleep. Also if she's trying to play at night and then go back to sleep an hour later, do not allow that. when my son wants to play in the night, i make sure he's changed and full, go put him in his crib, and let him cry for like 5-10 minutes, go try to rock him to sleep, and repeat if he's still trying to play
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Try to switch from nursing her before she goes to sleep to when she wakes up. With my dd, she ate as soon as she woke up, she stayed up a little, and then fell asleep on her own. I would lay her down when she was sleepy but still awake (I would rock with her and let her feel drowsy)- and she would drift off to sleep on her own in her crib. I think this is why she never developed he sleep/nurse association. That being said- she was a thumb sucker since the age of 2 months and she used that for comfort.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 1:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• she does nurse when she wakes up but then she nurses to fall asleep too...
    Anonymous

• Heheh.. My 8 month old still nurses to sleep at night.

And I do not mind because he falls asleep on his own a bit after a nursing session during the day. He'll be drowsy but awake and I'll lay him in his pack-n-play and he'll go to sleep. So, he CAN comfort himself. He just needs the extra food and comforting at night still.

I didn't stop nursing to sleep for naps until he was 6 months old, and if he doesn't feel good (teething pains) or is feeling clingy he still does it.

Start with nap-time around 6 months old and move on to bed-time later.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My kid is almost 7 months old and the only time he sleeps is when he's in the swing (and only in my room) or in my bed with me.
    ATG499

Answer by ATG499 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2009