if you know your husband has a drinking problem, what is the next step??

i have been having a problem with my husband. i have a 2 1/2 year old from a previous relationship and i am 8 months pregnant with our son, we have a good relationship other than the fact that when we see friends he has to drink and not just drink like a few beers, an example, halloween we went with my family to a campground and took my son trick or treating and my parents friends were all there and he decides to get trashed like we are at a bar or something, im talking an ENTIRE bottle of vodka (redbull vodkas) and beer and then gets ballidgerent drunk in front of everyone and im left embarrased and having to clean up his mess, he drinks beer everyday after work (hes a mechanic and says it relaxes him) but he just doesnt know when to stop, i had asked him more than a few times on halloween to stop and he just says no i dont want to. he is a very happy drunk but one more drink puts him over the edge and he gets mean and loud

bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• He needs to admit that he has a problem and get help...you can't do it for him. Sometimes all that you can do is issue and ultimatum and stick to it when he thinks you are bluffing.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• and i dont know what to do, we get in really bad fights when he is drunk and my son has seen this a few times, no matter how much i ask him to stop because he is there he doesnt listen, i want to protect my children from this, because other than that he is a good dad but i wont let my kids grow up with a father like that but i love my husband and he is stubborn and thinks hes fine and thats just "how he is", what do i do? is it that bad that he needs AA or what??
    bradynsmom222

Answer by bradynsmom222 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If the drinking is effecting your home life then yes it is bad...again he needs to admit that he needs help or you need to take some drastic measures
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My 1st husband had chemical dependency issues and I gave him a choice, family or drinking/drugs
    He said don't let the door hit you in the ass or your way out.

Go to a Ala-non group near you to help you deal with this. Or tell him quit the booze or your gone.
    No person is worth staying with when they have to be getting out-of-control drunk
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• dealing with alcoholism is a long complicated process. Their is no one thing you can do to fix this..he has to want to fix it, most have to hit bottom. Look up al-anon onnline, they have chat rooms and also face to face meetings in every town. This is something you need to do for you so you understand the disease and you dont become and enabler.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• if he wont admit it,nothing will help him. if i woas u i would leave him ( tell him u will come back when he gets help and stuff.mabe the fear of losing u will help him relize.also try video taping him so he knows how he is.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2009