What's your family secret for your children to be good students?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Be involved. Be very involved. Know what their homework is, check it. Stay in contact with their teachers. Go to parent teacher conferences. Be involved. When your kids see that you care, they're more likely to care too.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 1:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Genetics :)

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I tell my son that he can do anything... He can be anyone he wants and you have to learn how to do what you want to be:)
    annaica

Answer by annaica at 1:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I have high expectations for my kids, and they know that. We all do homework together at the kitchen table after school where they available to each other for help and I am available to them while I cook supper, do dishes, or fold clothes (our house has an open floor plan). We also read together every night before bed, my choice of books so I can ensure they are exposed to different genres.

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Family gathering without electronics.

It is so sad these days how the members of a family past time without interaction. Everyone is so busy watching reality series, texting, playing video games.

Anonymous

• structure. a sence of responsiblity. fun. a good teacher. a good school. letting the child know that they are expected to always give 100% and THAT is what you are looking for... the grade is the grade, they are who they are.

We never ever punished for poor grades if we KNEW that our kids gave 100% effort. We have a solid b student who gives 100% to get bs. We have an A+ student who gives 100% to get As (and would be punished even with As if we saw he wasnt giving 100%) and we have a C student who gives 100% and can only get Cs....... she (the C student) has tutors.
    Anonymous

• Being involved with them, talking to them about their dreams & life goals, family meals every night, family outings & showing them that we are interested in everything that they do. My older 2 graduated with a 3.5 and a 3.2 cumulative GPA's and my younger 2 who graduate next May will have a 3.7 and a 3.5 cumuluative GPA's. They push themselves and we push them. They bring their grades up on their own....a B this quarter will be an A next quarter and if they have A's they maintain A's. Last year my 17yo got 4 quarters of straight A's. On his 1st report card of this school year he got all A's and a C in College Math which IS hard this year because his Math teacher is treating it just like the college classes he teaches and just like the college classes my son will have next year. Next quarter he will get a B or an A...he HATES C. We have taught them to work hard and it shows.
    Anonymous

• Pride! but ultimately is a genetic thing, out of my three kids only one excelled in school, he craved praise and I made him feel pride in everything that had his name on it, often making him do it over and over until he got it right.

Answer by older at 3:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We homeschool and make learning interesting and fun. they are always good students
    Anonymous

• When DS was younger he LOVED school and the pride of getting great grades with little effort, the problem with that was that from K-5th grade he aced everything with no effort! When he got to 6th grade and the work started getting harder he didn't know how to work hard so when his first 5week report came we told him that we were very disappointed and he needed to bring the grades up, we had to then teach him how to do the work he didn't get right away and asking for help was so new to him he had a hard time with it. So we appealed to something that mattered to him-$- when his first report card of 6th grade came I told him for every point he went up in each class on the next report card he would get $1 BUT for every point down he owes me $1! He is now a junior and we still use it because it usually works although the last rc of last year he owed me $!

goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009