Chicken Pox Vaccine

My 3 year old just got the Chicken Pox Vaccine a week or so ago. Today she woke up with a few small pox on her right at the injection spot. The doctor said there could be a reaction but as long as it's local and no fever she should be fine. Problem is that we live with my mom who has never had the chicken pox. Has anyone come across this, is my mom at risk to get the chicken pox from my DD's reaction to the vaccine???

MorriganzMommy

Asked by MorriganzMommy at 1:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Health

• The chicken pox vaccine is a live virus vaccine. That means, your daughter and anyone who your daughter comes into contact with can catch the chicken pox from that vaccine. It's a process called vaccine "shedding" The MMR vaccine is also a live virus vaccine. My uncle caught rubella from it.
    I can't remember the shedding period for the chicken pox vaccine. Your best bet is to look in the package insert for it.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2009