Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to have an amniocentesis or not?

I am currently 36 weeks pregnant. I had my doctors appointment today and they are concerned about my uterine wall being thin. (i am measuring at 38 weeks). They would like me to get an amnio. to see if the babys lungs are mature. the doctor told me if they are mature enough they will take the baby 2 days after the amnio. (i am having a c-section btw). and if I choose not to have the amnio the doctor said they would wait until I'm 38 weeks. I am so nervous and at such a loss as to what I should do. I am scared about the baby needing oxygen when born. or something happening to me or the baby if my uterine wall ruptures before 38 weeks. I'm scared to get an amnio done because the baby already has like no more room left to move around. I am just not sure where to go from here?? has anyone ever had this happen to them?? advice please??

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers (11)
  • Why do they think it's thin?
    doulala

    Answer by doulala at 1:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • OP here they did an ultrasound and saw it was thin.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • Is that the reason for the cesarean?

    They will know if baby needs oxygen, it's not a big deal to care for the baby, they are equipped. And you will be in good hands, too, not to worry. IF anything were to happen, there is a surgical staff standing by-- right?
    doulala

    Answer by doulala at 1:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • if it were me.... under those circumstances I WOULD do the amnio.

    I was told I should have an amnio done to determin 100% if my baby had downs... under those circumstances I refused. Because I knew that those cold hearted so n sos would want to council me to kill my baby because it wasnt perfect.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • I had an amnio at 36 weeks on a Friday and the test showed my sons lungs were mature and I had labor induced on Monday.

    The amnio did not go well. They had to stick me twice. It was worse than I expected but I knew it was what was best for the baby and me. My life was in danger and I needed to give birth as soon as possible. It was baby #3.

    I was induced but had no other interventions for the birth. No epidural or anything. When my water broke on its own there was meconium and the doctor thought for sure my baby would have difficulties and there were extra nurses and doctors there.

    It turned out he was fine and didn't even have to go to the NICU. I was in a special room by the nurses station because I had been in the hospital for weeks and needed extra care. I was able to have him in my room in an incubator. He did have to have the bili lights. He weighed 6 pounds 3 ounces and went home with me a few days later.
    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 1:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • OP here I am having the c section because with my other child I went into labor but it was taking too long for me to progress so they did a c section. I am just nervous as to if I should wait until 38 weeks at the risk of my uterine wall possibly rupturing or to get an amnio done?
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • Well, having a baby in the hospital is supposed to be safe, because they're available for emergencies. Otherwise, why bother?

    I would say not to an amnio. It could be an unecessary risk and I would NOT get a c-section done prior to 39 weeks. Just look up all the latest research and studies for elective c-sections done before 39 weeks.

    I was measuring ahead for BOTH of my pregnancies and I delivered on my due date and my first was 7 lbs 12 oz and my second 8 lbs 10 oz, so they weren't huge babies...they had enough room (as in the uterus was not constricting their growth, it was snug at the end, but that's with any mother).

    You didn't say why you needed a c-section at 38 weeks (or even now for that matter). That scares me and so many red flags are popping up in my head right now.
    jlry_ldy

    Answer by jlry_ldy at 1:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • I'm big against amnio's because they are invasive. But in this situation I would do the amnio in a heartbeat. This is about your health and well being and the baby's. I would do it and follow my doctor's advice about the c-section and date.

    I had my first c-section at 37 weeks and my second at 37.5 weeks. Both babies did just fine. They were both jaundice, but the dr told me to give plenty of breast milk on demand and they will do just fine...and they did.

    Good luck to you. I will keep you and baby in my prayers.
    ThrivingMom

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • I had an amnio at 36 weeks to make sure my son's lungs were mature before my induction. I was scared to death to do it, but it went perfectly. My doctor was great. I watched the ultrasound the whole time (I didn't even think to look at the needle, I was concentrating on the screen so long) and the needle didn't go near my son. The amnio itself didn't hurt, even though the creep-out factor was high. I was monitored for about an hour afterward. With my medical problems, the benefit of getting him out early outweighed the risk of the anmio. I'm glad I did it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    JulieJacobKyle

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • It was determined at 24 weeks prego with my first that I would need to be induced at 37 weeks and I needed surgery (non-pregnancy related) within days of birth. When I was 35 weeks pregnant my doc informed me that I would need to have an amnio at 36 weeks 4 days to check his lung development in order for her to induce. I did not feel comfortable with an amnio so I went to another doctor's office for a second opinion at 36 weeks. That OB did not feel the need to do an amnio (because all my u/s were accurate, my uterus was measuring accurately and I could 100% without a doubt pinpoint the day of conception) so she induced me at 37 weeks and my son was born fine. Small, but fine.

    I personally would not get an amnio but that is just me. I would maybe ask another doctor for a 2nd opinion to see if an amnio is really necessary at this point
    Jaydin_Makenna

    Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.