My 6 month old always fights sleep can I get some advice please..

Even if I cuddle him he still cries and cries , what should I do? I've tried putting him to bed before he gets tired and I know its not teething cause he has always been this way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put him in the crib. Eventually he will get tired and go to sleep. By rocking him you may be making it more difficult for him to sleep . My DD is like that.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• shorter & less naps during the day. Put him down later at night like 10 0r 11pm- before bed feed him, change him, put some soft music on & put him in the crib. if he cries a little thats ok so don't pick him up unless very upset.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My 7 month old is the same way, and I can't bring myself to let him cry it out. What I do is go in his room, turn out the lights and turn on the sound machine, I rock him until he goes to sleep, sometimes it takes hours, I figure he will only be little once and at some point I know I will be wishing he would let me hold and rock him, so I just bare with it. Good Luck Momma, this too will pass.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• what i was told to do was let them play themselves to sleep. My little boy was the same way he would cry and cry and then one night he got really quiet in his room and i went to see what was going on and he had just played himself to sleep. other times i put him in his johnny jumper put on his favorite movie or put him in his crib and let him watch his favorite movie and he eventually falls asleep on his own. You'll find something that works for him and he may just find his own way to calm down and ease himself to sleep.
    bryansmommy24

Answer by bryansmommy24 at 2:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Hmmm.... Some people think he might be getting too much sleep, which is possible... but what if he's not getting -enough- sleep? Overtired babies fight sleep hard-core because they are in physical pain. What time does he go to bed and how often does he nap? My 8 month old sleeps for 10 hours at night and takes 2 1/2 hours worth of naps during the day. That's about average for his age. A 6 month old would sleep a tad more than that.

You may be missing his tiredness cues, and by the time you try to put him to bed he is over-tired, getting rushed with adrenaline, and in pain which is why he is crying and fighting sleep. Sometimes the best thing to do is to forget about sleeping right then and do something else to distract the baby until they feel tired again.

Another great thing to do is set up a schedule. Ex: play-time, feed, bath, play-time, jammies, quiet play-time, read book, sing, hum and rock, sleep.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• * I also forgot to add that my son woke up 3 times at night when he was 6 months old. And now he only wakes up once.

So I forgot to add that those are not solid hours and it'd be unreasonable to expect a 6 month old to sleep that long with no waking. That is just how long --combined-- :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You said you put him to bed before he is tired.

They should be tired, but not overtired like PP said and schedules help too.

If baby isnot tired at all that may be why he is screaming. They want to explore everything and be into everything at this age and need your help to do it. So just sitting there is no fun and he may want to go do stuff. So, why not wait til he actually is tired to put him to bed ?
    Anonymous

• no , I said I've tried to put him to bed before he's acting tired (grumpy rubbing eyes)
    Anonymous

• Ok. well I don't have advice But I know what you are going through,. my son actually pushes away cuddles and comfort and has since birth. he's turning 2 on sat and once he hit about 19 months is when he actually FINALLY stopped crying it out EVERY TIME.. literally. no amount of anything worked. We have routine, he was full, not thirsty, not teething or teething, cold or no cold, books every night , 20 different methods before resorting to 100% cry it out and now,. all of a sudden this whole week he started "teasing " to get me in there - I think he stopped at 19 months cause I would talk to him and tell him Ok, you are going to bed , here are your animals, mommy will get you in the morning, we will make pancakes etc.. but that's an age growth more than anything. now he crys and screams literally to see if I will come and I don't know why, I get in there and he has the biggest grin on his face -arg!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• oh also, he slept basically in his swing from the time he was 6 months to 9 months. I also took him to a chiropractor when he was 4 months old for his colic.. its worth a shot sometimes.. I tried it all. I started CIO at 8 months old after he stayed up for 3 days - which means WE stayed up for 3 days.. it was ridiculous.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009