90% growth

My baby is 10 weeks old, 14.5lbs and his pediatrician is telling me that he is too big for his age group, I don't think you need to diet your baby, right? I think I just took good care of him and I'm exclusively breastfeeding. She is telling me that CIO is ok but my baby is not even 6 months, I'm confused...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It does seem that, that is a little large for a 2 1/2 month old. But I wouldn't worry about it, you can only feed them when they are hungry, if the baby didn't want the milk it wouldn't take the milk. I have never used CIO with my son. I think if your not comfortable with letting your child cry, when it is something that you could easily help them with, then don't do it. I can not stand the thought of my son crying and screaming when all he really wants is to be held by me. To each their own, but I feel it is neglectful to use the CIO method. Just keep doing what you have been doing, your baby will be fine.
    Anonymous

• I think you are right - it is way too soon for CIO. If you think your baby is sometimes nursing for comfort rather than hunger you might try a pacifier if you haven't already done that.
    Anonymous

• BF babies tend to be above average on the weight charts (which are based on averages of formula babies).I exclusivly BF until 9 months and both of my kids were very high-90 or more percents in weight. Once they started crawling and then walking they slimmed down quick. They are now 4 and 3 and in the 95 for height and in the 20 for weight. They are my little string beans.lol
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You can overfeed a breastfed baby. You do not have to let a baby cry. CIO is not OK. Here are a couple of suggestions.

Use only one breast per feeding. If you are using both your baby may not be getting the rich hind milk from the first that makes babies feel full.

You may be nursing when you could do other things to calm the baby.

Some people will say breastfed babies come in all sizes. Don't worry. That is old thinking. We now know its not good for babies to be overweight artifically fed or breastfed. To compare my 13 mo grandson weighs 18 pounds. He is a little underweight.

You are not a bad mother. You didn't know. You can email me.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Oh and for the CIO-i never did it. My guys co-slept and we had get sucess with it.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• um my dd was ff andshe was always in the 95% for her age until she reach 2. my ds is bf and he is 8 mts and about 22lbs. he is healthy not fat!! dont cio jsut feed the baby. once he starts to move aroung he will loose the weight, my dd was 24 lbs at 24 mts. she is now 32 mts and 29 lbs..
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• what is cio? my little one was that big when she was around that age.i also breastfed only. she is 17months now and slimed down. she was in her 98 percitile at that age. mabe try a different docter
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You're doc is probably concerned that rather than offering a paci, or letting baby fuss a bit or using swings, etc, you are feeding at every cry (hence her saying to cry it out). I don't think she means let him cry for hours! But it's ok for him to fuss and you don't have to nurse him at every peep. If he's gaining too much, then he's probably using you as a pacifier. Just a thought. It happens. It's hard with kids to know what to do and how often. Mines two and I still never know if she's had enough to eat or sleep! :)
    Anonymous

• My pedi told me alot of things that i didnt agree with, and things that went against what the wic office nutritionist said! it got a little annoying, but truthfully, combine advice, doctor, other moms, but go with what your comfortable with. according to the growth chart my son is a fat ass, they didnt take into account he hadnt started crawling yet, and they came down on me hard...that was an ugly visit. she wanted me to force my 8month old to walk...and that wasnt gonna happen! really take what pedis say with a grain of salt...your child is normal, not every human being grows by a chart!!! as far as crying it out....offer your baby other things, but hunger is hunger, and BF babies tend to eat alot more often than FF babies!! GL
    Anonymous