Charging more because I'm white?

So I do hair and hair extensions for a living. I called around looking for prices on a weave. I was asked by the woman on the phone if I was white, I said yes and she told me she charges more for white people because white people's hair is harder to braid! I have charged extra for extra hair color, and charged by the track on track and sew wefts extensions, but never have I gone by someone's race! wow...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• A weave is harder to put in caucasian hair. It does not hold well and is difficult to manipulate. If it's extra work, she's going to charge for it. Can't blame someone for that.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 2:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If she said "she charges based on texture" it's really still the same thing. People should charge by how much work is involved.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Probably no worse than a hair stylist charging more to cut long hair.
    ladymarvn

Answer by ladymarvn at 2:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• um excuse me, I do hair extensions for a living, I do hair braiding, and weaves,and never have I charged more for someone's race. There is no more work involved for braiding a white person's hair, in fact I get a pretty good mixture of both!If I charged more to service black people, They would call me a racist, and report me for discrimination. It's different than charging more for thick hair for cutting or coloring.
    Also, was it okay because a black woman said she would charge more, or was she white? If she was white and said that would it have been different. I think charging more because of race is wrong.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If it really is an issue of the amount of work then you charge by the hour, not by your race....
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• thats just a prime example of reverse racism
    Anonymous

• I think it's discouraging either way....Discouraging her NOT to go to that salon....I wouldn't, how rude!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 2:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• "If it really is an issue of the amount of work then you charge by the hour, not by your race...."

You're right. How do you charge?

Anonymous

• "If she said "she charges based on texture" it's really still the same thing."

No, it's not the same thing. I am white, but have really dark, thick, course hair. The texture of hair doesn't always go by the race.

Answer by missanc at 2:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I charge for fusion hair by the hour and I charge track and sew by the row,and how much materials I use, for full head by the hour.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009