How can I get her to start talking?

Just wondering if anyome knows a good way to teach an 18 month old to talk...she used to say more words, but doesn't anymore. She understands what we're saying she just doesn't seem interested in talking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mmm. have you talk to the dcotor about this. i know speech regression is a sign of autism
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Children talk when their ready. You could try not giving her what she wants when she gestures for it but encourage her to use her words. Of course you need to keep it within reason. My ped asked me at my sons 2yr appt if my ds was saying 50 words that I could recognize (didn't matter if others could or not). This was the limit they were looking for. Your dd still has many months to accomplish this. It could just be that her brain is developing so rapidly with other skills that the language part is temporarily been put on hold. I wouldn't freak out to much about autism if she is social and responsive to you (ie smiling, laughing, and playing).
    sweetboys4me

Answer by sweetboys4me at 4:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Check with your pediatrician. I'd be concerned if she was talking but isn't any more assuming she was using more than a couple of words (i.e. if she was periodically saying a word here and there and has stopped I'd be less concerned than if she had a fair number and has stopped). She can be evaluated by Early Intervention (or your area's equivalent) to see if she would benefit from speech therapy (or other therapy should the problem be more than just speech delay). My son is 2 1/2 and has been in EI since 18 months. It's a great program and he's made great proggress.
    Anonymous