Her two year old is not in a car seat. Would you say something?

Wow. Im still in shock. A friend of mine has a two year old daughter, who she posted pictures of on Facebook. (no big deal there). Well I was looking at the pictures, and she isnt in a car seat! She may be in a (no-back) booster seat, I cant see that part. I can't believe she isn't still harnessed!!! There is no way she is safe. Would you say something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow...i cant believe all the people saying just to mind your own buisness -- what if you were doing something and you didnt know it was wrong? Like giving you kid a medicine that was recalled or something, they knew but it wasnt their business -- well its "your own problem" if your kid dies...

She said it was her friend..your friend and families health and well being ( along with thier children) are your responsibliltiy too...

So yea, you should say something -- you dont have to be blunt and just be like -- do you put your daughter in a carseat...You could be like -- I seen the cutest lttle girl carseat at target, what kind of carseat does your daughter have...or be like if she still in a toddler carseat or a preschool carseat -- just start a conversation with her and add it in there
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I personally would just try not to sould "holier than thou" and let it go and she gets angry.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yup. I would. And you can make it sound good. "I didn't realize it, but did you know it's illegal for kids under 4 to not be in a harnessed car seat?" Actually, I don't' know the law, but I do know 2 year olds cant' sit in seat belts. Odds are, she doesn't know.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Sure she was "riding" in the car and not just "playing" in the car?

That's a touch one. I have a friend who doesn't buckle her kid up properly. The straps are waaaaay too loose and all messed up. (4 year old). The baby, the straps are too loose and she doesn't move to the armpits. But I don't say anything becuase I know she won't do anything about it.
    Anonymous

• Is it possible the picture in the car is before or after a trip when the car is parked? Could she be in the seat and the carseat be on the other side not in the picture?

I'd send her a message something along the lines of, "Your daughter is so cute! Where is her carseat? (I can't see it in the picture)"
    Anonymous

• I would triple check that those aren't just fun pictures where she's just in the car.

And yes I would. Absolutley. This is safety we're talking about. If she gets in an accident, that little girl is not going to make it. No chance. I would be polite and let her know that she NEEDS to be in a carseat, not just a booster, but a car seat. Not only is it waaaay safer, it's the law.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 2:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Wow. Could she just be posing? How is it your business to tell her how to raise her kid? If her kid dies in an accident it is her responsibility not yours.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't. It's not your business and could only lead to trouble. Everyone knows the law. If she chooses not to follow it, that's her problem.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Why should a child have to die just because people like anon @ 2:43 thinks it's cooler just to mind her own business. How about get the facts from your friend first, then decide what to do.
    Anonymous

• How do you know the car was moving? I have pics of my kids in our van, not buckled in but we were parked.
    Anonymous