over 39 weeks pregnant now- how long does it take to dialate?

I'm not dialated yet and i was just pondering

if i go into labor now, how long does it take for my cervix to dialate? does it just open randomly, could it be hours? days? weeks?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's really up to your body. Everyone is different. My friend was thick closed. Next day she was in labor only at two and was at ten by 2 in the afternoon. Me, I walked around at three to four for months, one baby I was at five for 12 weeks! But once things get going, they go. Don't go based on how dialated you are, you will open up when you open up.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• all of the above
    if you go into labor you could have contractiions for a week or more
    a day or two
    or just a few hours
    Anonymous

• It can take weeks or it can take hours. I tried to find an average time for first labors and there really isn't a good answer. Maybe 17 hours. Its hard to tell what time labor first begins. It can begin and not be that bad and last a long time of not being all that bad and then you get into active labor.

My first labor began early on a Sunday morning. My husband was going to take me out to eat at this very nice restraunt and I didn't want to tell him. I soaked in the tub for a long time and then woke him up and got ready to go out to eat. I ate a lot, my last meal without children.

I had to go to the bathroom and I asked our server where it was. She asked my husband if he knew I was in labor while I was gone. She could tell by how I walked. He made me leave and go home and get ready to go to the hospital. I pulled off not letting him know.

Of course the meal came up during labor. My labor was about 20 hours.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yes, it can be random, here and there...
    It might take a few minutes or a few months.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• ok no, nothing is taking a few months here i'm due in five days!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It could take hours or it could take weeks or it could take months! I was 2 cm dilated at 31 weeks with my daughter (not sure when I actually started to dilate) and she wasnt born til 38 1/2 weeks when I was induced. I was 5cm at the start of the induction and then when it took off, I went from 5 to 10cm in 15 minutes
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 4:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• lets see. is different for everyone. with my first i was 4cm at 28 wks. i went into labor at 38 wks i was 4cm and i took me 16hrs to go from 4-10. my second i was 3 cm by 32 wks. my wtaer broke and6 hrs later i started contactions. that was at 11 am i dialted to 4 and then to 5 and then from 6-10 took me 20 mts. evero one i diiferent my friend went from 0-10 in 2 hrs
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• scary!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• mine took DAYS and i was 2 weeks PAST my due date...some women also go around for WEEKS being dilated to 4-6cm and don't even know it...also, some women go from 0 to 10cm in a few hours and some will do it in 14 hours and some will do it in days like i did
    Anonymous

• One of my babies took 3 months to go from 1-10. One went from 0-10 overnight. There is no "average".
    Anonymous