Single mom in college is Crash and Burning and unable to see her therapist until Wednesday. HELP!

Sometimes I really wish that I had friends that were amateur therapist. I never thought I'd be saying I wish I had a friend like me. I just need someone I can REALLY talk to; I need someone to be objective, and help me work my way to a solution.
I'm moving into the my "I'm doing good, so let's screw up my life!" m.o. School WAS going great. Now my procrastination is beyond my control and I'm skipping out on classes. It's like I was having a blast paragliding, and all of a sudden CHEESUS CRUST, my parachute came too close to the sun and disintegrated.
I really don't want to plummet into the sea of failure, I NEED to do this. Yet out-of-the-blue, I have that "I know I can't do this" feeling. Anybody wanting to help me out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in

• Get out of your own way, buckle down do yuor school work and go to class. You can only not do this if you don't go. Be present in your life. No one controls your fate more than you do. Take responsiblity and get to work.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Is this your first semester in college?
    Anonymous

• You can do this!! look how far you have made it , don't stop now with your dreams in sight!!
    Anonymous

• The rule of thumb for college success is 3 hours of study/homework time a week for every class hour; so if you are taking nine credits, you need to allot 27 hours a week for homework/study.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I can relate to your issues with procrastination. I'm always able to pull things off at the last minute, but I suffer for it. When something causes me anxiety, I turn away from it and procrastinate completing it. If something bores me, I turn away from it and procrastinate. If I just feel like I'm not getting enough "me" time or time to do something pleasurable (in a non-dirty kind of way, I mean), then I turn away from my work and procrastinate. To be selfish, I'll state that I believe that this is completely normal. I'm guessing that it is the anxiety that is causing you a problem. Something about either the work or the result you will get from completing the work is causing you anxiety. If you can identify that, you'll be one step closer to fixing it.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Think of the end product. I have been where you are. Some weeks are harder than others. When I am feeling under the weather or tired, it is harder to get to class, do my homework, etc. I have 2 classes this semester that I don't even have to read the books to pass the class. The instructors give awesome notes. I have 1 class that I study nightly and am having a hard time keeping my grade up. (This is Spanish class). Next semester, I will have a harder course load as I get closer to graduation. Set aside study time but make sure you have time to unwind and relax before bed and on the weekends. Get a phone number from someone in each of your classes that you can call and talk to. This is a good way to make friends too. Message me anytime and I will talk to you. Good luck!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009