Can toddlers play more than 30 minutes without mom's attention?

When I'm getting ready to make dinner I leave my son with his toys for about 30 minutes until he starts requesting my attention.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine is pretty good about keeping himself entertained. He's never far away from me so sometimes he comes in to see what I'm doing (I work from home). I don't know a specific time frame but he gives me enough time to get everything I need done without anyone feeling bad. Like another mom said, I just make sure there's nothing he can get into that he shouldn't.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 6:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Shoot I can't even leave the room for a second. My son starts to cry immediately. I pray for 30 minutes.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

How old is your LO? Mine was the same but as they get older they don't need mom so much....lol :-(
    Anonymous

• Ehh. Mine follows me around the house. She can keep herself busy for 30 minutes, but that involves me grabbing things from her and stopping her from doing this or that every couple minutes, all while I'm trying to cook or clean.

If your kid can happily play for 30 minutes while you prepare dinner, hey, that's great! You're a lucky Mama. If you're asking if it's bad that you let him play for 30 minutes by himself, no, of course not. He's building independence and learning to entertain himself. I would just always make sure that the room he is in is baby proofed and that you can hear him and check on him every couple minutes.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Very much dependent on the child. 30 minutes is pretty darn good for a toddler. Mine happens to be pretty good at amusing himself as well but I wouldn't expect much more than 30 minutes.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yes ...you were blessed...my lexie is the same way..bella button...she is 10 months always wants me...never a minute lol
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 4:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• you get 30 minutes??? ugh.. I pray for that too - my son turns 2 on sat and its like he always needs CONSTANT attention. And I LOVE to play with him but.... sometimes I would like a little break too... I have tried the little tricks from books and nothin' - I just hope it lessen's when he gets older..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009