doulas?

what are they?ive heard they are like birthing couches for women who dont have one. . .
can you still use one if you are delivering in the hospital.
do you have to pay for one? how do you find a good one?
any info would be greatly appreciated...
**due in june**
**husband deploys in march**
**baby number 3**

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 2:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wish i had a doula when I had my son. My husband was there with me but he had no idea what to do , and when things started going bad I had no one to stand up for me. I gave birth in a military hospital, and never will again.

If your husband is going to be deployed the military can cover the price of the doula. http://www.operationspecialdelivery.com/

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 3:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Great idea! Sure they can help you in hospitals. They usually charge around $600 in my area. Some barter or use a sliding fee scale. Sometimes you can find someone needing to attend births to be certified that will charge much less. Go to google type in doula and where you live and you will find them.

Go to google to read more about doulas.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Not just for women who don't have a coach.
    A doula can help a laboring woman or laboring couple to stay comfy, happy, and progressing through labor.
    And they are best used in hospital births where consistent help is most needed.
    A doula is the one person who is consistently helping the mom through her labor. At home, the doula tends to the mom, at the hospital she continues, and after the birth as well. Nurses and doctors and midwives will come and go, but the doula stays by the mom's side! :-)
    Doulas help moms to have much shorter births and fewer cesareans!

Usually, you do pay for doula services. Some hospitals offer them for free, but these on't have been at home with you like the usual birth doula would.
    Doulas range in rates, you have to talk with them to see what their rates are.
    You can interview them, of course.
    You will possibly qualify for a free doula through Operation Special Delivery.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I am getting certified to become a doula. I attended my friends birth and assisted her throughout the process. It was amazing! The doula is the assistant to the woman in labor. Wether or not mom has a partner or is going natural or epidural,we keep mom focused, comfortable, and educated throughout the process. We help involve dad, because he doesn't always understand or know what to do. We give back rubs, foot rubs, remind to breath, hold a leg, what ever it takes! And insurances do cover it. We are registered with hospitals usually. Ensuring that mom has a positive birth experience is our job. It's also very empowering for mom.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Our hospital actually had them free of charge. You don't get to pick which one you have so if you want someone you've met before and know then you would have to hire one on your own. But I just went with the one from the hospital and she was great. My husband was there, as well. If he could not have been there and neither could a family member, then I probably would have hired one on my own and gotten to know her first. The doula basically just helped me get through the contractions and kept reminding me to breathe and relax. I kept tensing up If it had just been my husband and he was telling me that, I probably would have went off on him a time or two. For me, it's easier to hear those things coming from someone who has actually given birth or at least has been around for plenty of other women's births. Not my husband who knows nothing about birthing babies. LOL!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2009