How good does Fenugreek work and how do i use it?

LuvMy2Minis

Asked by LuvMy2Minis at 2:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm currently taking it, and it has just started to kick in for me, after about 5 days. You're supposed to take 3 capsules, morning, noon, and night for the first 3 days. So, 9 pills a day for the first three. Then, you go to 2 pills each, morning noon and night, for 3 days. Then you do the same with 1 pill for 3 days. So, you take it for a total of nine days, if that makes sense. At first I thought it wasn't working, but combined with frequent pumping, my milk supply has gone up, though not completely where I want it to be. I have went from getting about 2 oz per pumping session, to about 3 1/2, maybe 4, and that's a big success in my book. The bottle of pills only cost $5, which is really cheap, in my opinion!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• stefanie just outlined the non therapeutic dose for fenugreek. it will work in about 48 hrs, taking 6 capsules every 4 hours for first 24 hrs- then 3 every 4 hours for next 24 (if needed you can continue same dose- only side effect is a "maple syrup" smell that will literally ooze out your pores, lol)
    if you can avoid it, do not pump unless your baby is not nursing well, and if you do, always pump AFTER a feeding session, and early in the morning. although you may see in increase in what you get, pumping is not an indicator in milk production.

how it works, it helps open up your milk ducts, and increase production/flow of milk. it will also help open up your bronchials when you have a cold- works great!

the one thing- it will sneak up on you. you'll go from nothing to engorged really quick if you pump too much, and take a bunch. hope it that helps.

i used it several times when ds went through a nursing strike.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You can also buy it in bulk from Mt. Rose Herbs, $3.75/pound for the whole seeds or $5/pound for the powder. This is certified organic, as well. It doesn't need to be encapsulated to work. You can mix the powder into yogurt, or use the whole seeds to make a cup tea. If it's the only herb you're using, I'd go with a tablespoon either way you decide to prepare it, and use it 3-4 times daily.

Check with a local herbalist to see what they recommend. While pills are certainly easy to pop, they are generally not the most potent way to take herbs.
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 5:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• obbydobby, I researched the drug alot and I read that there can be negative side effects if she were to take THAT much in the first 24 hours. OP, I'd beware of taking too much, so I'd research the dosage yourself before taking.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2009