my husbands sister has mono and we are going to go stay there for a little until he gets deployed.....

but he still wants to stay there, but we have a little boy and i know she will be kissing all over him! we was planning on us going to his moms house until he does so he can visit with her before he does but my mom lives like an hr away but he dont want to stay there so what do u think we should do? i really dont want to stay at his moms house but he dont want to stay at my moms house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Health

• Tell her not to touch your child. I believe children under 11 rarely get mono. I worked in a lab 30 years ago and if we thought a child under 11 had mono from his bloodwork we would send it to the pathologist to decide what the child had.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I did some reading and there is a strain of mono that kids get now. Probably new in the last 30 years. I would not go there. I am immune compromised and I have had mono 3 times. For me it is probably worst than most people but it makes you sick for months. You can be out of work for months.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My neighbors kids have had mono. It was really hard to get rid of. I'd make damn sure she didn't kiss your kiddo. Or that he ate or drank after her. I would HOPE she would have the common sense to NOT kiss him to begin with.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I had mono when I was a kid and my kids have had epstein barr a variety of mono. I would not stay at your sil house. I wouldn't stay at your mil house because she is going to mostlylikely be nurturing your sil physically a lot. Stay with your mom and let hubby go over a few times to see sister. Ask him not to kiss her or share utensils (try 'this' food just try it take a bite).

Symptoms are swelling of glands, extreme sore throat, tiredness - there are physical signs in addition to blood work counts and sometimes other things. So you will know if your kids get it and hubby will know if he shows symptoms overseas. It is though a good idea to keep your kids away until her blood work is clear.

Have kids write and draw auntie notes and pictures every day and mail out. SIL will love it.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009