"Real women have curves"

Does anyone else find this ridiculous? So a woman is not "real" if she weighs 100 lbs? I don't get things like this. I weigh 133 and I'm 5'2 ...I have curves, why would that make me any more 'real" than the mom that I know that is as tall as my husband and rail thin?

I think sayings like this only add to insecurities. We are all real women, curves or not.

presleyfan1

Asked by presleyfan1 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think this quote wasnt made to make curvless women insecure, but to make bigger women more secure
    Anonymous

• I think you're splitting hairs.
    Anonymous

• I think it's intended b/c of the models that are way skinnier than is healthy. Or the porn stars that make lots of women feel so insecure. It's supposed to remind us that we don't have to look like them, and that most women don't look like them. I agree that it's probably not the best way to put it, but I don't think it's intended to insult any woman.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I agree with tropicalmama on this. It's also for young girls, who think they have to starve themselves to look like the beanpoles on magazine covers. And not to mention, just a few days ago right here on Cafemom, a woman said that anyone who wears more than a size 4 is Big and ridiculous.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Oh and after I lost my baby in 2000, I lost a lot of weight and was down to 100lbs and I'm only 4'11." I couldn't even fit into the 1/2 pants at Express. I did NOT feel womanly at all. I am much more confident about myself now that I have gained the weight back. For me and my body, that phrase holds true.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Above a size 4 is big and ridiculous.... a mother said that?

What?! Wow I guess then by being able to wear size 6 I just missed the mark......what?!?!

Wow.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I can see what you guys are saying about making girls feel better about themselves. I just wish it was said in a different way. Like I said earlier I was at the playground with someone today that is as tall as my husband and does not have a roll on her body.. I would just think that if I were her this would make me feel bad.
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Good for you! Embrace your curves and I am glad that you dont base all your happiness on your wieght (or lack of) because TV and Hollywood and terrribly vain ppl think we should.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I don't think the saying is supposed to mean that curvy woman are more woman then a skinny one. I think it is trying to say that real woman, not the plastic, airbrushed ones you see in magazines are curvy. I can't really explain it well, something along the lines of what you see in the magazines is usually not what the models really look like. What with photoshop and all, even the "normal" pretty models are being airbrushed, and as a result aren't real. Don't know if that makes any sense.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and before I had children I was a little under weight- I still had curves..
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2009