When can i give my baby rice cereal?

My little one is 3 months and my mother says its fine to give her rice cereal. She said she gave it to us early but that was back in the day. Is it ok now?

LuvMy2Minis

Asked by LuvMy2Minis at 3:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Around 4 months. I mixed it with formula at first.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Nowdays doctors recommend 6 months.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 3:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Ideally babies should not start soilds of any kind until 6 months of age. This helps to decrease life long food allegeries, hayfever, and skin allegeries.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My daughter is 4 months old and I started to give her rice cerea last month.....my pediatrcian said that this will decrease her intake of formula since it will fill her up and that there is less of a likelyhood that she will be overweight at 6 mths old.....she loves her cereal now....I have just stared her on baby food last week.....good luck :)

P.S. My mom also started me on cereal at 3 mths. :)
    Danickasmom

Answer by Danickasmom at 3:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You'll get tons of different answers to this question. My daughter NEVER got rice cereal. It's pretty much iron fortified wallpaper paste. YUCK It has 0 nutritional value. It really won't add to her overall health or nutrition so why do it at all? Olivia also didn't have as much as a taste of food untill she hit 6 months on the dot. Then and only then did I relax a little and started giving her tastes of avacado, sweet potatoes, and making my own barley, and quinoa cereal.

Some people start their babies as young as 6 weeks on it. I feel, that is way too young but my opinion never changed anyone's mind. So you do what you want. Ideally if you want to go the natural way if you are so inclined you can make your own cereals, www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a great resource for making your own baby food, their recipies start at 6 months old.
    rockstarmom2b

Answer by rockstarmom2b at 3:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It's fine. Just don't give a lot, I just did a teaspoon mixed with formula at night to begin with. I put it in her bottle and used fast flow nipples. If you do that you have make sure and shake the bottle very well. Some people will tell you how wrong this is, but it is your choice. I cannot personally imagine a baby just having liquid for the first 6 months or even their first year but if that is what some think is best for their baby, I'm not going to tell them they are wrong. Really it is okay but again it is your choice.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Just dont give alot, :)

i don't put it in bottle, ...i just make a bottle up 6 oz or so...whatever she is drinking now hon.
    Couple teaspoons mix it so runny almost like soup, my grandmother did it to my mom, my mom did it to her kid's i did this to my children,

I started my little ones on first foods around 4- months....
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 4:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• never...give your baby vegetables...rice cereal is harder for a baby to digest than any fresh vegetable
    Anonymous

• I don't use the infant cereals, but if you decide to, MY recommendation would be to start no sooner then 6 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My baby's dr told us to add a little cereal in my baby's bottle when he was 5 weeks old due to acid reflux. I started feeding him cereal with a spoon around 3 1/2 months. He has done great with it and loves it!!!

OH and he sleeps thru the night! Has been since 5 weeks.
    Anonymous