Do you think that babies who are breastfed have less sleeping issues than formula fed babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Formula takes longer to digest, so formula fed babies would be more prone to sleep longer, I would think. I don't think the breastfed baby has an "issue", though. Since breastfeeding is what the baby was designed to do, I think that the waking pattern of a breastfed baby is ideal for a baby. The frequent rousing (they don't fully wake, just rouse and roll over more often) seems to prevent SIDS. Which, uh, is good.

For me personally, my kids are good sleepers. The one year old sleeps 8-6:30 and the 2 year old sleeps 7:30-7:30. Neither night wake. Both are exclusively breastfed. That was my experience. Note that I recognize I am one person, and that doesn't mean all breastfed babies can / should sleep with this pattern.

apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My second is being breast fed and he acts pretty similiar to my first who was fully formula after 5 weeks.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Depending on how well they adapt to the formula. I breastfed.
    Anonymous

• I think that it depend on the babies and their sensitivity to formula...my daughter was breastfed for 3 months and now that she is formula fed there has been no change.
    Danickasmom

Answer by Danickasmom at 3:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I exclusively breastfed my little one until she was 7 months and she has always been a terrible sleeper. She is now almost 3 and still doesn't sleep very well like most other 3 yr olds do. I dont think breast feeding or formula feeding has to do anything with the childs sleep issues.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 3:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Nope, mine weren't breastfed and they slept all night except my last baby(formula fed)gets up once a night. My friend breastfeeds and hers sleeps all night. So I really don't think it matters/
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Mine all started out BF and changed to formula after I went back to work. ALL three of them slept better after they were 100% on formula, but it could have been because they were past the newborn stage when I made the switch and would have been sleeping batter at that point anyway.
    Anonymous

• No.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think it's the other way around.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I don't think bf or ff feeding has anything to do with a baby's sleep patterns.. with my babies , I have used all possible combinations of ff and bf because for different reasons.. some exclusively bf, some exclusively ff, some bf while supplementing formula.. all 8 of them woke almost every 2-3 hours for almost 9 months or longer.

Anonymous