Do you feel invisible or disconnected with family and friends?

I go to family functions and leave feeling like something is missing. I'm not sure when this started. I try to join the conversations, but someone else usually speaks at the same time and I fade away or if I do actually think I am heard no one responds to what I say and they just change the subject. My sister and my cousin have kids close in age to mine, so we do have things in common. I don't know why I feel like such an outsider. I'm at the point now I really don't even want to go to these things. I also feel left out because I'm not always told about family plans until last minute, like an afterthought. I'm having the same issues with friends and work relationships too, so I really think something is not right. I was never the life of the party, but I haven't always felt invisible either. Does this happen to anyone else? Do you know when/how it started? Did you figure out a way to improve things?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• It sounds like you have an introverted personality. Sometimes introverts can go through periods where they feel even more introverted than usual.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way. You can try to change the situation by trying to insert yourself back into relationships. You can change your thinking. There is nothing wrong with you. You may want to avoid large group gatherings and nurture one on one relationships or very small groups.

It's ok to have an introverted personality. Introverts and extroverts brains are 'wired' differently.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• This happens to me often at DH's family get together's. SIL seems to have much more interesting topic's to talk about then the rest of us, so she gets center stage.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 3:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Thanks!
    mommogran - I am competing with a few more exciting/dramatic personalities, so I'm sure that is part of it.

Gailll - I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I am very much an introvert. I'm just feeling a little more lonely than usual.
    Anonymous

• I know exactly what you are talking about. Honestly, it was way worse for me before I had my son, because now I can always pull that, "Oh he did the funniest thing the other day..." story out and get a good laugh from everyone. But something I've found that did help me was adding a lot of my family to my Facebook friends - this helped b/c now I feel like I know them a little better and can ask them about pictures or posts they put up, and they can do the same to me. Gives us something in common. I just have to be careful not to post anything I DON'T want them to know, or ask me about in front of my grandparents! And I also think you may just be thinking a bit too much about it all... Unless you feel that others are purposefully making you feel left out, you probably are just over-analyzing things. I know that is what I do.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Thanks Iskkra. I guess I do need to make more effort to be connected.  I haven't logged on to Facebook in over a month!

Anonymous