Why is breastfeeding considered "gross"? Seriously curious, NO DRAMA!

I see all these posts on here where women/mothers say breastfeeding is "gross". I am seriously curious about this...it is just not something I understand. I am asking these questions in a serious, drama free way....please, don't use the barfing siggys and things. I'm curious for honest, serious answers about WHY it is gross? For those who think it is, did you research all the benefits before you made that decision? Did you try it before you decided that? Does it depend on how long you do it? Again, please no drama. This is just an opinion I don't understand. I have breastfed 2 kids now, one for 16 months and one for 17 months and still going. I just never thought anything about it once I saw the benefits. Once I tried it I realized there was nothing sexual about it, so I'm just curious. Also, I'm NOT judging if you don't BF, so don't judge me for BF please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Some like to expose breasts & that is gross. I breastfed 3 kids without flashing breasts to anyone.
    Anonymous

• I think that society has placed such a sexual meaning to things, that ppl take it way too far when it comes to feeding your child also. Strictly my opinion anyways. Otherwise, I dont see how they could think of it as gross either.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Personally, I think once a child is eating all table food they dont need to be breastfed anymore. Once they are walking, talking, potty trained I dont want to see them walking over & whipping out mom's boob.
    Anonymous

• I did breastfeed for the first six weeks because I knew it was benificial. However, I was always sticky and I could smell it on me all the time. That 's how I associated gross.
    Anonymous

• I felt it was gross to me. I tried it with my first one and honestly, I felt like a dog. I hated it. Also, I was very young at the time and my family was always around me.
    Anonymous

• Breast have become sexualized and some people forget that their original purpose was to feed children. Now, some people think they are for the seduction and entertainment of men and therefore, the thought of an infant using them to nurse is "gross."
    Anonymous

• I think its gross when a woman is still doing it at like 3 years old. Thats sick the kid can talk by then... "Hey ma give me the boob"

Eeeew
    Anonymous

• I, for one, see nothing gross about BFing an infant. I could not do it because of a medical condition but I wanted to because it is best for baby. However, like others, I do feel that after a certain age, it is gross. Once the child is old enough to feed themselves they should be weened. I also think that it is gross to overexpose yourself in public to BF. I understand that it is a natural thing and there is not always private places to do it, but there are ways to be discreet and not expose all the goods to the world in the process.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i had planned on BF my daughter (1st born ) but i had alot of complications and was in the hospital for awhile, my milk didnt come in, we tried for a long time to get it to, but it just didnt happen. With my son, I didnt even try, because I coulnt picture doing it. Besides that, i got phnemonia while int eh hospital with my son -- so he was sent home for a week before me...so I wouldnt have really been able to anyways.

I dont think bad of seeing people who do BF...but for myself, i think i would feel gross.

And another thing, I realized after having 2 kids....if I was out somewhere, I would not do it in public, and I jsut couldnt imagine, gathering up both kids and our stuff to find somewhere private to do it.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 4:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• "Personally, I think once a child is eating all table food they dont need to be breastfed anymore. Once they are walking, talking, potty trained I dont want to see them walking over & whipping out mom's boob"

This is exactly how I feel.
    Anonymous