Pregnant with #2: How and when should I start weaning #1?

I just found out that I am pregnant with our 2nd child!! However, I am still nursing my 1st. He is 13 months old and still nurses 3 times a day. I was just wondering if any of you continuted to nurse while you were pregnant and for how long. And how long should I take to wean him completely? Any help would be great!!

snugglybuggly

Asked by snugglybuggly at 3:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can nurse fro as long as you want, as long as you're not at risk for pre-term labor.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Keep nursing. Most toddlers will self wean. My ds quit nursing when I was about 7wks along. He didn't like it, probably b/c all the hormones changes the taste of it. But he had slowed to nursing 1x/day and was 20mos. Your baby will get the most nutrition, so don't think that your toddler is stealing that away from the baby even if they don't wean.
    sweetboys4me

Answer by sweetboys4me at 3:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I nursed through a pregnancy with no problems and then nursed both. The older child ended up having asthma and allergies so it was a good thing he was still nursing.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• you can nurse all pregnacy(if not high risk) and you can continue to nurse both if you want, is called tandum nursing
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Piwife is absolutely correct. You can continue through the entire pregnancy and then tandem nurse them both after the new baby arrives.
    Betty.Wrong

Answer by Betty.Wrong at 4:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I was in your shoes. I got pregnant with my 2nd when my first was 10 months old. My dr told me that I could nurse through the whole pregnancy and nurse them both after delivery if I wanted. I just didn't want the toddler to expect to nurse every time I nursed the baby. I weaned my toddler 2 months before my due date. This worked great for us because she was weaned about 7 weeks before I delivered and never asked to nurse at all when I nursed the baby.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Thanks for all the help. I would like to nurse until he is ready to quit, but I have just been so tired. How do you keep you energy up when nursing while pregnant? I am only about 4 or so weeks along, does the fatigue get any better?
    snugglybuggly

Answer by snugglybuggly at 7:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• No, sorry to say it doesn't get better. I'm now pregnant with my third and my last baby self weaned at 10 months when I got pregnant this last time. I was wanting to continue BFing but he was done, done, done. I can tell you that this pregnancy has been easier on me than the last when I was nursing and caring for my then 1 year old, but it was still worth it for me. I'd do it again if I had it to do all over.

I didn't drink or eat any caffiene with my first pregnancy, but will admit that with the second when I was nursing I drank a cup of coffee in the morning (with my doctor's ok) and I took a nap when my 1 year old napped. I also found almonds to be a great snack because they're so easy and so high in protein. Staying super hydrated will also help fight off fatigue.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We are expecting our eighth baby in February and I am still nursing our 20 month old. With the exceptions of our first few children who are all two years apart, I have nursed the rest of them until the day the next one is born. I still consider them babies and if they want that comfort from me, I want to give it to them. As far as the energy goes, I use the time he nurses to sit in a quiet room and relax for a while. That really helps me. I have not let the older baby tandem nurse because I don't want them taking the precious colostrum milk for the new baby in the weeks after birth. They have never had a problem watching the new baby nurse when they are no longer nursing either.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2009