Sweet gesture that sends a good message, or overkill?

I've been talking to this guy online, we always have these long (like 2 hrs or more) conversations. We both feel like we really click, and agree that it's a rare thing to have happen. In one of our recent conversation, we were joking around and it came out that he likes tiramisu, and I told him that if I could figure out how to make it, I'd make him some, which he said would absolutely rock. I have found a recipe for it. He works out of town, and is only home once a month. When he comes home and we meet, I was thinking of following thru on what I said, and making him some tiramisu. I thought it would be a cute way to show him that I do listen and remember things he says and that I am really interested in him. But at the same time, I worry that it might be too much. Any advice?

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 3:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• I agree with the PP. I would go for it. My husband and I started dating on Dec.11 and I knew that he was a big MOPAR fan so I bought him a Dodge lighter for Christmas. It was just a nice gesture to show that i knew what he liked. He didn't smoke but he loved it anyway.

Its not anything expensive or over the top, just a little treat. I say hit him with the double whammy. Show him your skills in the kitchen and show him that you know what he likes. He said it would rock. Sounds to me like he is all for it. So if it were ME, I would go for it.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• He's probably a weird one , I would be careful.
    Anonymous

• If this will be your first in person meeting I would wait, and then if things progress you can do it later as a nice surprise. I think it is a sweet thing to do, but it might be too much too soon. Sometimes guys get a little skiddish if you seem like you are trying too hard to please them too early.
    Anonymous

• I agree, keep it low key. Save the tiramisu for a time down the road if you really click in person.

Answer by Bmat at 3:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I completely disagree. Make the Tirimasu. I see nothing wrong with that. My brother's girlfriend stopped by our city on a trip. I had never met her before, but i heard she really like American BBQ (she is korean) We let her stay with us, & i made her the best BBQ ever. It was just a nice gesture. Your not saying i want to marry you & have your kids by making a desert you heard he liked. It could be ANYBODY, & you might consider making their favorite just because. I don't see a harm in it. I don't think it's an overkill either. You can always say that it's your favorite too.

Then again...i LOVE to cook. If someone gives me the oppurtunity, I'm all over it. I don't think it's over kill though. I think it is sweet & thoughtful.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• How is cooking something trying too hard?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• that is something pretty hard to make, my mom is a good cook an attempted the recipe in the william sonoma dessert book and made it with non-alcoholic rum... my son and i both puked it up... if you must go the tirramisu then buy a piece from an italian restaurant. also if he turns out to be lame, you didnt waste too much time on him.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I dont think it would hurt either way. if you make it i would just take a him a piece of it and not a whole dessert. That keeps it low key but still it is a very nice gesture. sometimes the way to a mans heart is thru his belly.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think it would be okay.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think you should make me some too. It's a cute gesture and if you do it in a causal way (don't make a huge deal of it or anything) he'll probably be thrilled. Come on, guys like food. Who would be weirded out by being served their favorite treat? Especially if you enjoy cooking/baking there's no problem. I love that sort of thing and I always make my friends their favorite so why wouldn't I make a new friend (or maybe more) something tasty?
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 6:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2009