ring a round the rosie.

I heard that this kids song came from when all the people died from the black plague...which makes alot of sense....alot of websites says it too....but Snoopes says it doesnt, even though their explanation isnt that great...

what do you think.

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 3:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That's always what I have heard.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• That's what we were told in school.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• yep, same here and I remember one about london bridge is falling down too but cant remember the details...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i know hu.. there are alot of kids songs, that if you knew the meaning of i dont think we would be singing them.. lol if you just hear some of the words to ones from way back in the day there scary..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 3:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It is.
    Anonymous

• I've never heard that, but I never hear that song the same again, lol. That's morbid!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Thats what I learned and thats what I believe it is about.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I've always believed that explanation. What about rock-a-by-baby? Down will come baby, cradle and all...That's sad.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• According to Wiki its not. (see below)
    Folklore scholars regard the theory as baseless for several reasons:

the late appearance of the explanation;[15]
    the symptoms described do not fit especially well with the Great Plague;[17][20]
    the great variety of forms make it unlikely that the modern form is the most ancient one, and the words on which the interpretation are based are not found in many of the earliest records of the rhyme (see above);[18][21]
    European and 19th-century versions of the rhyme suggest that this "fall" was not a literal falling down, but a curtsy or other form of bending movement that was common in other dramatic singing games.[22]
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• "a pocket full of posies ashes ashes we all fall down" lol sorry got that in my head now
    and i heard something like that too i dont know for sure though
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009