With so many children who ARE NOT supposed to get the H1N1 vax at school getting it against parent's wishes, are you keeping your child home that day?

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=11411312

I know that I will be keeping my preschooler home on the day they do the clinic at her school.

Autumn22

Asked by Autumn22 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• ANY time you have a county government organization running a clinic, it should be of concern. i ran into this last week, when my DD had her teeth cleaned at school. she has an adverse reaction to fluoride- i said absolutely NO on the form, even wrote to reference her medical record- they neglected to do so, and she got a fluoride treatment that resulted in one sick chic!

no, i don't think i will be keeping her home from school, but i might paste a huge sign on her shirt that says "I DO NOT GET STUCK WITH NEEDLES WITHOUT MY MOMS CONSENT" lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I homeschool, so yes my kids will be kept home. But I am curious...have you documentation of more of these instances? I have only heard of this one. Your question implies otherwise.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If it is the shot and not the mist, anyone over the age of 6 months and whom DOES NOT have a reaction to eggs or has not had GBS can get the vaccine... The mist however has more restictions. The info I suppiled was from the CDC.

Sorry I didnt read your link, it is hard to copy and paste with a laptop LOL..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Maybe I read your question wrong, are children getting the vaccine at school against parents wishes... That is WRONG, parents have the right to refuse and the schools should respect that..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I would view it as an oppourtunity to get my tax dollars back from the school system.
    Anonymous

• I've only heard of 2 other cases. But the amount is minimal. Accidents happen. Would you be upset and stop sending your child to school on the bus if the bus drive had an accident?
    Anonymous

• My kids will be staying home that day and during the 10 day shedding period.. I will not put my children at risk.. We already had 1 severe adverse reaction to vaccines so no way will any of my kids be there.
    TonyaakaMomof5

Answer by TonyaakaMomof5 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• What 10 day shedding period? Tonyaaka please explain or give links. While it is possible for a person that is immunocompromised to get sick after close encounter with a person that had the mist, I have seen nothing stating this with the shot..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I have called daily to every place that could be giving the H1N1 vaccine that is within driving distance just to find the vaccine available for me (pregnant) and my 3 yr old and 18 month old. I finally found the public health department has some and is so short on them that they are only giving to those that are high priority...thankfully that's me and my kids.

My best friend and her 4 yr old son both have swine flu right now. So, if my child's school were giving the vaccine I would be grateful.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 6:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• NO ONE can give your child a vaccine without your WRITTEN permission. If someone gave my son a vaccine without my permission, there would be a lawsuit on their hands and I am a pro vaccinating mother. Your child's school CANNOT give vaccines without your permission.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009