White Baby Dolls and Black Baby Dolls?!?!?!

I was at Target yesterday and we were in the toy isle and my Daughter who is 16 months was looking at the babies. She went up and picked out a black cabbage patch doll and I let her have it. Well we are white and a black couple were standing close to us also looking at the babies with their young Daughter. As we went to walk away I heard the Lady say "don't pretend you're not a racist". I turned and looked at her and said "excuse me"! She then grabbed her Daughter's hand and they left the isle. I could NOT believe that she said that. I have never ever had an issue with black, mexican, asian or any other race for that matter and my kids will NOT have an issue either. If my Daughter wants a black baby and loves her then she will have one. So my question is....would you let your child have a baby doll from another race and if you're answer is no then why not?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Sorry that happened to you but I think she was the racist one.

Anonymous

• Yes, if my daughter actually liked dolls, she could have whichever dolls she wanted.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Oh yes I would let my child have a doll of a different race.

Anonymous

• Yes I would and have, and it sounds like that woman was the racist, not you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I would and they have, I also let my son play with baby dolls and my girls play with trucks...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Of course I would, and do. That's just an obvious yes for me.

That other mother sounds insane. How would that make you racist?
    presleyfan1

Answer by presleyfan1 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I have a friend who is from the Dominican Republic. She saw that my daughter had a black baby doll and exlaimed how cute she thought it was. She never said I was racist for letting my white child play with a black doll. My daughter's best friend at day care is black. How is she supposed to get used to the idea that people have different features if that isn't represented to her in daily life? The lady who said that to you is crazy!
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 4:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My girls do have dolls from other races. There is nothing wrong with it and it makes no sense why she would call you a racist.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If thats the doll my child picked out then sure.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My daughter who is biracial but looks white only has black baby dolls she is so funny she says mom i am black! Clearly she looks like a little white child. I think you should let your children have whatever dolls they want. that lady is obvioulsy stuck on the race issue. I would have laughed at her and her stupidness.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2009