If you had preclampsia before does that mean you will have it again?

Does it put you at more of a risk for having it? Our second was born prematurely because of my preclampsia and I don't know if I could handle another preemie and the terror of the n.i.c.u.

I don't know what we would do with our other two if we were at the n.i.c.u every couple hours.

Have any of you had it with one and then no problems with the others?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i am sorry to hear that about your second baby. I had preeclampsia, almost into eclampitc seizures, with my first. I am preg. with my 4th and have had no other problems, but my OB watches me close. It isnt likey you will have problems again, but it is possible. I feel for you and i wish you the best in your future pregnancies. My sister worked the NICU for 19yrs. and now works labor/delivery.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• As team21 said, it isn't likely but it is a slight possibility. I had preeclampsia with my first but no signs whatsoever with my 2nd and 3rd. You will most likely be safe. If you are concerned, I recommend talking with your OB as early as you can in your pregnancy so that you are both on the same page regarding your history and your concerns. Good luck.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 4:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• my MIL had it with her first but didn't have it with any of her other children...watch your diet VERY closely and talk to your OB about it...if you are really concerned there are things you can do to help prevent it...good luck
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 4:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009