smoking... second hand smoking is it dangerous for breast milk

my family are very strong smokers is it bad for my breast milk... he is not around it but i am

christinkie

Asked by christinkie at 3:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Health

• Yes because breastmilk does not go thru the 'filters' that your other body fluids go thru.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It's better not to be around smoke of course. However, even moms who smoke should breastfeed. Smoking or being around smoke doesn't mean you can't smoke according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Nicotine is passed into breast milk. I would avoid your family.

if you breathe diesel fumes that will end up in your breast milk. Anything you take into your body will end up in your breast milk.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It's actually far more dangerous for YOU. Contrary to what the first responder said, your breastmilk is better filtered than your own blood is.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I beg to differ with the PP. nutrients (proteins, sugars) are taken from your blood supply and turned into breast milk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2009