Have any of you moms ever toldyour baby to "shutup"??

Last night when my son woke upp for the 6th time, i told him to shut the hell up... he did for about 2 minutes. i feel horrible this morning and am trying to make it up to him... just not myself in the middle of the night. he must think im crazy

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, and if anyone says that they have never, they are a liar...even if they didn't say it aloud, it is still said in their head. It's the stress of being a mom.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I haven't, but I can see where it's possible. It's really trying on your nerves and it's easy to lose it for a sec. Don't beat yourself up about it. The fact that you feel guilty shows you're not going to repeat it.
    Anonymous

• No, I have not.
    I'm sorry you had such an awful moment - and I really hope you have learned from it.
    Anonymous

• I have 5 kids. I am sure i have. Dont beat yourself up about it. Just try not to do it again.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It's natural, don't beat yourself up! I have told my son to shut up (he's 3 months old.) He doesn't understand what I'm saying, of course. But I do feel bad afterward because I know I did it out of frustration. And even though babies can't tell what you're saying, they do get that you're angry if you use a raised voice. Anyway, though, I think it's better to verbally vent your stress than to lash out and throw things or hit someone.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 4:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You can't make things up when you do certain things to children. Don't try. It does confuse them. There are things you don't do. No matter what you don't do them. You never swear at your children. You don't call them names.

Its hard taking care of a baby when you aren't getting any sleep and have a lot of other pressures. Babies wake up at night. If you are going to have them you have to take care of them at night. If you feel like screaming it is better to set your baby in a safe place and walk away until you are calm (a few minutes at most). This is not CIO. This is prevention of child abuse.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We are not just mothers, we are humans, and all humans have weak moments. One night when my little man was about a week old, he had been crying for about 3 hours. Nothing I tried worked. I hadn't gotten any sleep yet, and it was around 3 in the morning. I'm not proud of this, but I begged him to please shut up for just 5 minutes. It happens. My only concern would be if you didn't feel bad about it.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My son was about 3 maybe 4 months old and his father was working two jobs so I NEVER got a break. I screamed it at him then collapsed on the floor sobbing that i was sorry. That probably should have been a sign that I had PPD but I didn't realize it. I called my DH at work and told him what had happened and he got me calmed down and convinced me I wasn't the worst mommy in the world.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My mother always taught my brother and I NOT to say shut up. We could physically fight all day long, but shut up would get us in trouble.
    I still to this day don't say it.
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 4:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• do beat you self up.. i tell both my boys all the time..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2009