Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I shave below the belt but the last few months I have not been doing it because of extreme razor burn. Now I know that you are not to use wax or Hair Remover Creams made for the legs in this area, but a friend told me that she uses the kind made for the face and it is gentle enough for the face that it doesn't cause problems in other areas. So I got some Nair for faces, I read all the directions and warnings and it never gave any warnings for that area. In fact it said that it was gentle enough for the most sensitive skins. I followed all the directions exactly. Now I have a heavy, gummy discharge and a burning sensation worst than razor burn. Could I have cause an infection? Should I go to the doctor? Please no bashing, I feel stupid enough as it is. I just need some medical advice if anyone has any.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Health

Answers (7)
  • did you put some aloe on it? i would go to the doc if it doesnt get better, but i would wait for a few days and see what happends, you dont want to rush in if in a couple of days it clears up.. AN stop messing around down you may just have to bush it out for awhile..

    Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • probally just irritated and the discharge is probally your body trying to heal itself

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • UGh i did the same thing and it was all swollen and hurt so bad and yes i got some kind of infection. I just finally let the hair grow back and waxed it yesturday. I got some monistat and some cream for itching. It will get better. Go to the Dr. though and get some meds. I used the nair the one for the legs.. you put it on and scrub it off. Not a good idea! You wil prob just have to wax it. Yes it hurts but it's totally worth it.

    Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • Um--- you might have caused and infection. How long has this been? Personally, not wanting to own up to this, I'd be doing some major cleansing of the area (like frequent baths in soapy water) for a couple days to see if that helps or not. If it starts getting worse, you may need to go in- quickly.
    I recommend looking into a home wax warmer. I just got the GiGi mini pro kit off amazon (for cheaper than one brazillian) and so far so good.

    Answer by IrishMommaC at 4:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • the doc can't help. you have a chemical burn and it's really bad. The discharge is your body's way of trying to keep those chemicals OUT of your good stuff.

    1. drink a lot of water A LOT thsi is item number 1 for a reason
    2. take vitamin e. you can also put vit e oil on the rash
    3. apply cold compresses-- a wash cloth soaked in cold water and maybe a little aloe vera gel will cool it down
    4. there is a sun burn gel made from aloe vera and lidocane -- it will dull the burning feeling
    5. keep the area clean. as soon as you sweat, wash it
    6. the hairs are going to grow back very itchy and many will be ingrown. the burning should stop in about 3-4 days. on day 5, use a loofa or scrub to slough off dead skin and prevent more ingrown hairs

    i am so sorry.

    Answer by ecodani at 4:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • I was going to say witch hazel but the above suggestion is good. Cold compresses are good. You know, I think you can call the nurse line and ask. Who cares, you certainly wouldn't be the first woman to do this. Get the right advice on this so as not to worsen the situation.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • you are not the only one to have done this i work at a health clinic and you will not believe the nunber of people who have done the same thing go to the doc if it is an infection it needs to be treated before it gets worst and does some actual damage.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.