2.5 yr old cursing

I have my nephew in from out of town and he curses. he's 2.5. I don't know what to do. We went to the playground today and a little girl didn't want him on the jungle gym and she said Mine! and he said f*** off. I was so embarrassed . So far i've told him don't say that, its a bad word, and he stops but only for right then. if he falls down he says s*** , doesn't like something d***. I only have him for 5 more days. He's not potty trained either, any and all suggestions welcome. I'll try to awnser your questions so check back.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You've just got to be *REALLY* consistant- oh, and tell his mom. (How horribly humiliating would that be to hear from someone else??? I would assume she already knows, but it always worse when strangers do too!) I had a little boy I did daycare for who did the same thing. It was awful to take him into public places. The other thing that helped was "kid friendly cussing." Basically teaching replacments "Oh PICKLES!" "Bananas and Cheese!" "Monkey Doo!" Anything super silly that makes them laugh. Words like "F***" aren't funny- even to alittle kid- but there are plenty of things that are!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 4:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• what!!!!! you need to nip this in the bud.. you need to let him know this is not what little boys do.. i would so bust his butt.. i dont care who he was, this isnt funny at all.. i dont know why parent are doing this now a days..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You really can't do anything to stop this behavior at this point - exacept keep telling him "No, do not say that".

Whe his parents get back though - I think it's important that you have written down on a piece of paper how many times he cursed while he was there (count them), and which words he used. Hopefully when they see how bad it is they will stop using that kind of language around him.
    Anonymous

• send him home and dont take him back. someone is doing some bad parenting. I have a friend who's kids are close to mine in age. We have diff life styles so her kids behave like her. I don't allow them over my house. I would just wait till he is old enough to know what he is doing so you can correct him so he understand then let him come over. His parents need to stop letting him do that. you can't really do anything but talk to them.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Put him in timeout when he swears. He will learn quickly what is not acceptable at your house.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Where's his mom? Sounds like you're babysitting for the week? Tell her you can't keep him again since his language is so bad you can't even go to the park. I'm sorry. Most people think 2.5 is normal to not be potty trained, so I don't have advice there. We potty train early around here, too, and it works for us. Sounds like this mom isn't doing much by way of parenting, if her kid's mouth is that foul.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009