Do you think this term is thrown around way too much?

Racist. I just read a post where the lady let her daughter pick out a black doll. They are white and a black woman who was in the same aisle called her a racist! And I answered a question and mentioned a white woman, nothing bad or hateful, I didn't say anything mean, then I got called a racist! Does anyone even know what that word means? It means: the belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. I said nothing about the character of white women in my answer, I do not believe I am superior to anyone and I get called a racist! I know this isn't a very fun question but I didn't know where else to put it!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well i think its funny.. yes is tossed around alot.. its a cop out for most, they just look for that one word or phrase to pen point you as one.. don let them there gals get to ya.. lol
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• so let me get this straight -

A white woman bought her daughter a black baby doll - and she's racist? Does that not mean the opposite?
    Anonymous

• Yes i agree people are quick to use it. No one is better then anyone because of race. If you better or worse it's just because you are.. it has NOTHING to do with your color.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Exactly anon :28! That's why I think most people don't even know what it means, they just need to call names for whatever reason.
    Anonymous

• I agree anon, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. My daughter (16 months) has a black baby doll right now. It giggles and moves and my daughter kept pointing to it, so I bought it for her. According to this person OP is talking about, I should have moved the black baby and looked for a white one. To me, that would have just been silly. It's a doll. Plus, it's never too early for children to see that people come in different colors.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I dont hear it ever but on here. Growing up I was told my uncle was black and I told them no hes not hes Mark. I didnt know his skin color was different than mine (hes my uncle by being my mom and uncles best friend growing up). I thought they were telling me his name was Black. So I guess I just dont notice things like that. My kids pick out their toys, if its black so be it, if its white ok, if its green whatever, they are gonna play with it just the same.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• LOL mommyin07! I know what you mean! Some of my cousin are half black and I never noticed until one time when I was still little and I was bragging to my mom that my knees were cleaner then my cousins because hers were darker! She smiled and tried to explain to me that was because her skin is natually darker, it had nothing to do with dirt! Took me awhile to wrap my head around that one, I never thought of the color of her skin, race wise.
    Anonymous

• that is a super cute story anon :16! I live in MT where mixed races are hard to come by. White people are definitely the large majority...when my little brother was a small child he saw his FIRST black person and said "look! Its Michael Jordan!"
    Not because my family is racist (far from it) but because that is all he knew. My Mom was shot lots of dirty looks.
    I thinks I will buy my son some black action figures. Is that racist too?
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 6:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• yes, i am tired of hearing the term. it's used way too often and for silly reasons
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• jenelle I lived in totally the oposite in high school. I was a minority because I was white. I lived in florida and the majority was black fallowed by PR. Then you add in that I didnt have kids when I graduated and that was a whole nother thing lol. Im not sterotyping or anything but EVERY black girl I went to school with had at least 1 kid and was pregnant at graduation (which at least they graduated). Most of the PR were pregnant or had a kid by graduation too.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2009