No big Christmas this year.

I am sick of the commercialism, the gimme attitude. So we are not buying for anyone except the boys. They are both teens and we will give them some cash. We are sick of it. Are you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow - bitter much? What a shame! : (
    I hope you change your mind.
    Anonymous

• We do very little in the way of gifts. First of all we can't afford it, and second, that is not what christmas is about. My our siblings we buy one family gift for $10 - 25. That's it. For parents and grandparents we may do a little bit more. This year we are getting calendars and photo books made of our kids. For each other - we will probably do about $10 this year and for the kids we spend $10-15 on one gift. They get plenty from other people and it is not very important to us.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• we are still in it to win it mama..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 4:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We never do the commercialism part. we make homemade gifts for close family and buy a little something for our son. We decorate the house and just enjoy the holiday.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 4:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• maybe find a charitable act and send a card to others.... "on this holiday season we gave 3 hours of our time in your honor at such and such a chairty. Have a blessed holiday season"

Or donate to something in their name. I bought bumble bees through Heffer International for my grandmother's last year. I sent them a beautiful card letting them know how much I loved them and since they spent a life time nurturing the family I thought it was very appropriate to continue that by purchasing the bees.... and I gave them a page of information on what Heffer International does with the bees.

Your thoughts are not wrong... but are VERY negitive. Your point will come across much better, and will be more useful if you SHOW them what the holidays are about instead of simply not giving them a gift.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you. I have been seing Christmas items out for a few WEEKS! I hate what has happened to our Christian holiday. When I was a kid I got a few presents and that was it. Now its MORE MORE MORE..Bigger is better. My parents would never have spent $80 on an ipod or $200 on a Wii game system.
    Anonymous

• I always do work for the homeless over the holidays. Cook food take it to their dinner in the park and work the food lines or what ever else needs to be done. So I will still do that.
    Anonymous

• #7 anonymous.... are you the poster? I am #5 anonymous.... perfect... if you already do that then you can send a nice card letting them know that you did it this year in their honor. I simply dont find it in the holiday spirit to be nasty. I DO understand how upset you are at the commercialism of it all. But you really will get a better result and make more of a statement by being kind.

Anonymous

• I hate the commercialism but have to admit that I am spending more this year. The last couple years have been really tough & we haven't done much at all so when things worked out better this year, I decided to buy more for the kids.

I think the idea of giving back is a wonderful one. We do this in our house as well. If you just skip out on buying gifts, the kids will be upset with you but if you take the time to show them how blessed they truly are, it is a lesson that will last a lifetime.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Celebrating Christmas and indulging in the commercialism are 2 entirely different things. We celebrate Christmas in a big way, but gifts are kept to a minimum.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 5:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2009