Depression compared to Recession? Apples and Oranges?

Knowing someone who went through the great depression and hearing how she survived through it was very inspirational to me! Her family went as far as to sew undies and socks with holes, not buy new ones. They had no cable, no internet, and just staples for food. Nothing extra. I see on the news the media comparing our economy recession with the depression and just don't see it I guess. We still have the pressure to buy buy buy at Christmas, and other holidays. Ipods, wii, playstation 3 etc. We spend on so many different things we really don't need even though the bad economy is such a huge deal in the media. I don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Perhaps you don't know people who are losing everything they own. I know alot of people who have ran thru all their unemployment extensions and the national forest right by me is full of people living in tents and old campers. Its pretty sad. My parents lived thru the depression and my grandma fed the hobo's alot. My grandpa worked for the railroad and would send them to the house to get a meal.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• comparing the recession to the depression really is like comparing apples to oranges! in most cases people have been living beyond their means, and the majority were living paycheck to paycheck. when the depression occured this country was still in its infancy--people had few extras, they learned to live within their means--they knew how to stretch a dollar.

today's generation grew up on safety nets, and never learned how to prepare for a rainy day. others never completed their education, opted to have a number of dependents, were at the mercy of an employers with limited skills, and are now hurting, and can't understand why, in theis country of plenty, why they can't have whatever they want!

maybe this recession people will learn to prepare better, and not try to keep up with Joneses, take care of their responsibilities, be accountable, and learn to be creative with what resources they have!
    Anonymous

• What about those who DID go to college, being told that if they had a degree, they would never, and I do mean never, be without a job of some kind, they would always be able to get some kind of work? I know people who have worked their whole lives, have a degree, and are now not able to find a job. Whatever they had saved is gone, unemployment benefits are gone. Tell them, anon, what to do now, how much more creative do they have to get? These are people who plant a garden and can the food, gave up cable/satellite, gave up cell phones, quit going out to eat, renting movies altogether, do not buy anything that is not necessary, and then only store brands. What about the ones who weren't trying to keep up with the Joneses, and are educated and creative, and were somewhat prepared? What do you tell them?? I really want to know!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• what is their degree in? is it a core discipline? or is it a 'fluff' discipline--like american studies, women's studies, liberal arts, etc?

and most times what your degree is in does not matter....just the fact that you have a 4 year degree opens up doors!

i earned my bachelors over 20 years ago. i have never used the actual degree for any of the jobs i've held, and they have all been healthy 6-figure salary careers.

think outside the box! there are plenty of 'management' positions available--maybe not in your chosen field, or you think are beneath you (i know plenty of people who refuse to take a management training course at fast food establishments, even though they offer competititve wages and benefits)

any job requiring a minimum an associate's degree or high school diploma would be a shoein for someone with a 4 year degree! think government sector! private/corporate jobs are feeling the pinch, and not hiring!
    Anonymous

• because those who havent actually lost there jobs have no idea what it is like, they believe that since they are ok then so is everyone else. everyones lives are different and those who are still doing fine might not actually be able to handle what would happen if they lost their jobs so god made it so they wont!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• guess what ladies! OP here, we did lose our jobs, almost lost our car and are about to lose everything, I stilll don't see how the recession and the depression are the same at all. Thank you so much I do have room to talk.
    Anonymous

• OP here again, it's called don't buy it if you don't need it, cable, internet, tv video games etc. No one said to grow your own food. Slow down here. I happen to know many people suffering right now.
    My sister has a master's degree and works at Kohls and Dollar Tree. To assume what others are thinking is wrong. Where did I say that I was doing just fine and didn't worry about other people? Stop assuming where others are coming from. The point was, for the economy being as bad as it is, there are still people out there trying to buy the best of the best and still spend excessive money! They didn't even have the excessive money to spend during the depression.
    Anonymous

• Sorry ppl-NO degree is recession proof. I know several ppl who have just earned their nursing degrees and licenses who have been unable to secure employment. PPl are not hiring, PERIOD!

My daughter will graduate in May with her MA in Environment Science Policy and Spanish. She has also managed to secure a teaching credential to teach English, Science and Spanish. She figures she'll need to move off shore for awhile to gain some EXPERIENCE.

PPl who are getting jobs have experience, know someone and are willing to work for dirt cheap pay! Many others are finding short hour, non-benefited positions only. NO ONE is safe in this kind of economy-to think otherwise is delusional.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• There are safe jobs, jobs with benefits. It's called the military.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

How many 50 yr olds can join the military?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2009