If you celebrate Christmas do you have kids open presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

My inlaws when their kids were little, husband and siblings, the kids opened their presents Christmas Eve at midnight not before plus a regular holiday meal was served. That was so that the parents could sleep in Christmas morning!!!! I never understood the difference of that or kids going to bed early Christmas Eve and celebrating Christmas on Christmas!!!!!!!!!

So me and husband compromised. Our kids each opened 1 Christmas gift Christmas Eve and the rest Christmas Day.

What are your traditions?

lfl

Asked by lfl at 4:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Holidays

• Same as yours.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We go to my inlaws on Christmas Eve and they open presents their and when we get home that night they open their Christmas PJ's and the rest of the gifts on Christmas morning. I don't mind getting up early with them, it's exciting.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 4:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We open presents on Christmas Eve and then see what Santa brought on Christmas Day.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We open 1 present christmas eve
    Then 1st thing in the morning we open the rest then have a big nice breakfast and later a big dinner
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Christmas eve is spent with DH family. We open the gifts from in-laws & SIL. Then we come home & open all of our gifts. Only the stockings are opened Christmas Day.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• As a child, we always spent Christmas Eve at my grandparent's house. That way the aunts and uncles could be there and exchange gifts. Christmas Day was when my sister and I opened gifts from my parents. That was our day.
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 7:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• We have a scedule-- Christmas eve- My Grandmas big dinner and gifts then DHs family snacks and gifts & Spend the night, Christmas Day, open gifts from santa & small breakfast, noon- my other grand parents big meal and gift exchange game - evening- DHs family once again for big meal
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 8:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• depends my husband is german and when he was growing up he wold open all his gifts x-mas eve afternoon that was the german tradition and my tradition growing up was we would open 1 gift x-mas eve before bed and then x-mas morning we would open everything else. some years we do it the german way and others we do it my way...we havent done it the german way in a few years tho...=)
    robsgurl_23

Answer by robsgurl_23 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Christmas eve we go see lights, play games, eat cookies, get to bed early so that we can be up at the crack of dawn opening presents from Santa... Oh and on x-mas eve I'm usually finishing up wrapping and taking everything out of hiding and putting it under the tree. Then My Hubby and I eat what was left for Santa and crash in front of the TV...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• As a child I had opened 1 present on Christmas Eve, however when my husband and I had our children everybody wanted to visit us on Christmas Day. As a compromise we go to families homes on Christmas Eve where everybody opens presents from them and we give ours for them to open then; this allows us to have Christmas Day at home as a family.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 10:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2009