Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there anywhere I can look online or at maybe at the courthouse to see if my ex husband has actually been paying child support and I'm just not getting it?

Where could I go to check and see if my ex husband has been paying child support?
December will be a year since I filed for divorce so he was supposed to start paying child support then. He has not paid a dime as far as I know because I have not seen any money and he never mentions the one time a month he calls. He works for minimum wage and there's no way he's paying HIS bills plus $300 a month for child support.The reason I want to know if there's a place either online or at the courthouse where I can check is because the divorce papers said that if he goes a year without paying then he loses his rights. He is what you would refer to as a "sperm donor" so I want him to lose his rights because the child is better off without him and she even calls him by his first name. He has nothing to do with her and hasnt seen her in a year (his choice) but wont sign his rights over only because that would make him "look bad".

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (9)
  • You need to check with your county.

    Answer by Gailll at 4:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • I would call DHR or the equivalent in your area. They can pull up the child support record and then you should be able to go from there.

    Answer by shis_mama at 4:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • Have you ever been on cash assistance? If so they get their money first. Also, no offense but if he is only making minimum wage why would you take a good percentage of his money to live? As much as I dislike my ex, I wouldn't take more than my daughter needs from him, I couldn't see him and his older daughter struggle

    Answer by OneToughMami at 4:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • In pa they call it domestic relations.

    Answer by lovinangels at 4:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • No I have never been on cash assistance or anything like that. and when I filed for divorce I told the lawyer I didn't care about child support but she said he has to pay it and they figured it up to where he would pay $75 a week so I had nothing to do with that. I just wanted full custody. I havent said anything about child support to him bc of the divorce papers saying that if he goes a year without paying it he loses his rights. He has never ever said anything about it in the past year so I guess he thinks as long as I dont say anything then he wont either. He cant be too bad off and evidently isnt paying it bc the last time he called he was bragging about the brand new Wii he just bought...

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • I have NEVER in my life heard of divorce papers being drawn saying if he doesn't pay child support for a year he automatically loses his rights. Especially considering that child support and visitation/right are 2 subjects not contingent on each other.
    That being said- call your CSEA... they can tell you

    Answer by ZaTa at 5:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • Yep in the papers it says if he either goes a year without seeing her or if he goes a year withour child support then he loses his rights. I have fuill custody of her and he has reasonable visitation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • WOW what state are you in?

    In Wa state you can call the child support enforcement agency and they can tell you. You can also set up an account so you can log in and see what has been paid, when and etc. Did the papers also state he had to pay you directly or does he have to go through the child support office?

    Answer by mamakirs at 5:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

  • I just got the papers out and looked over them again and it specifically says that he is to pay the money to the child support clearinghouse and it also says "Should the defendant fail to pay child support or to visit the child for at least one year, that such fact will provide plaintiff the right to initiate proceedings to terminate the parental rights of defendant." so he can lose his rights as of Dec 4.
    An I live in Arkansas and he lives 5 hours away in Missouri.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.