weight

I wanted to see if anybody has had a problem with your child gaining weight. At 12 months she weighed 19pounds 4 ounces. At 15 months she weighed 19 pounds 12 ounces. The doctor didn't like that she didn't gain much so they had her come in for a weight check at 16 months. She weighed 20 pounds 12 ounces. A whole pound in one month. That was good until she went in today for another weight check. She weighed 19pounds 14 ounces. Has anybody else had a problem with your child gaining weight? If so what did they suggest you do? She has hypotonia and is still on alot of baby food. She gags alot on table food. That is a very slow process. She does drink Pediasure. I don't know if this is something to worry about or not. I am waiting for her dr. to call. She seemed really concerned when she was 15 months. Do anybody have any advice on what to do?

amie72303

Asked by amie72303 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How do they weigh? I think how they weigh and if they use the same scale can make the weight look like it's fluctuating. Mine's 2 1/2 and standing on the scale now. 3 appts ago she was 24, 2 appt ago 26, then the last one 24.5. All sick visits but her appetitate and enegery level have not changed. So which weight is correct?! The doc was concered at the 2 year appoint becuase she was 23 lbs and handn't gained in a few months but he overlooked the fact that she had just has surgery! Docs.

My best advise is to ask the doc. He has to understand the medical issues and could refer you to a nutritionist too.
    Anonymous

• I would think she should be getting occupational and physical therapy. She should be seen in a developmental speciality clinic at a childrens hospital.

You can add butter to her food to boost the calories. You can feed her lots of high calorie foods.

Of course it is something to worry about. My 3 sons and now my grandson have a rare genetic condition that makes it difficult for them to gain weight when they are toddlers. With her loosing she is at risk of being hospitalized and force fed or having a feeding tube.

My youngest never lost weight and he was hospitalized. We were always being threatened with the feeding tube. He was 13 mo and 18 pounds. He had to be weighed 3 times a week. It turned out he also had tactile problems and when OT started helping with that he started eating better.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Does she LOOK healthy? A lot of toddlers are pick y eaters and combine that with their new found mobility and I don't think it's uncommon for them to be slow to gain or even lose a little.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• What is Hypotonia? Anyway, my daughter was the same weight-wise. When she was 18mo she wieghed about 18lbs. I think they made such a big deal out of it because she was 10lb 2oz at birth! They made her go back every 6wks for weight checks. She was a very good eater, but very energetic so I guess she just has good metabolism. I never did anything special becaus I knew she was fine and by her 2yr check up she finally weighed 21lbs! She will be 4 next month and is just 30lbs now and 39 1/2 inches tall.

I would just keep feeding her healthy foods and be patient. As long as she is not getting sick she should be fine. Good luck :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 5:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• OP--my daughter hasn't gained much weight in the past few months (she's almosmt 16 months), but she's all over the place. She already weighs like 26-27lbs, so I am not worried. She is just thinning out. She was a very chubby infant. Her doctors haven't been the slightest bit concerned.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I've never had a problem with my daughter losing weight but she doesn't gain weight very fast. At her 12 month appointment she was only 17lbs. 8ozs. At 15 months she was 18lbs. 10ozs. At 18 months she was 20lbs. 7ozs. In 6 months she gained just under 3lbs. Her doctor isn't concerned at all. She's 2 years old now and perfectly healthy.
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 5:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2009