HAM HELP

We are going to DH's aunt's for Thanksgiving. She wants to make a ham in addtion to the turkey, etc. However, she is oven space challenged. I suggested that she use her crockpot. Has anyone done this? Please share recipes-NOT links (I have googled this but would prefer a tried and true recipe). Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I always put ham in the crockpot, actually DH and DS prefer it that way. Just stick it in the crockpot alone in the am and by dinner it is "fall off the bone" cooked and really still moist and delicious. But it has to be a regular ham not one of those spiral galzed ones I got one of those on sale one time and it didn't do so well in the crockpot.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2009

• no we always get honey baked hams.. sry..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• no! yuck! Do NOT put a ham in a slow cooker.

She should roast the ham in advance then reheat it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I always boil my ham. I get the good kind with a bone it it...not a stupid spiral one or one of those icky "Formed" looking hams but a "country ham". You just put it in a large pot (big enough so you can cover it with water by about a 1/2 inch) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat & keep it a simmer for about 20 min. per lb.
    Anonymous

• you can put a ham in the crock pot.
    if you buy one of the better brands of boneless ( Hormel?) hams that comes in a thick clear plastic wrap. wrap that ham tightly in tinfoil and place in the crock pot with no water. place on low for about an hour maybe 2. when ready to serve, just lay the ham on a server plate, take all the tinfoil off and slice. it's not the best ham for a holiday, but it stays juicy and will be warm without using her oven. if your crock pot pottery comes out, you wont even have to take the whole unit with you. just pull it out and go to the dinner, it will stay warm.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2009