Was I out of line to say this to my boss?

I teach at a college. Today I had a student throw a book and injure another student in the class because I told him to stop fooling around and focus on the class. Well, I have a lot of behavior problems in this class, ones that are totally out of line for a classroom where the median age is 30. Yes 30.

I spoke with the department chair about the incident. I am the newest teacher on staff. This is my first term and I have been working there 3 weeks. During our conversation I said, "If a student were to ever strike me or assault me, that would be my last day working here."

My SO says I was being over dramatic to say that. Was I?

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 4:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• Nope. I always say that no job is worth losing my life or my health over. I think you were totally correct to get that information out there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Nope by college they are adults and should damn well know better. This isnt 8-12 yr olds with emotional problems. There is NO excuse for that.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 4:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yes a bit on the dramatic side.... but Im sure you were very upset.

I find it sooooo odd that you have students of that age behaving that way. Is there any disaplinary action you can take? What subject do you teach? 4 yr or 2 yr college?
    Anonymous

• It wasn't a good idea to make a threat of any kind this early in your job there.

Answer by Bmat at 5:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Yes. Now can you imagaine a guy saying that?  Your boss got a pretty good idea of your personality though. 

Anonymous

• So, for the women who responded that it is out of line to tell my boss I will not work in a dangerous environment, do most work environments pose a risk of physical injury? Is physical aggression common in the work place? Is this an average experience, and I have somehow missed it until now?

I'm not being condescending; I am seriously interested to know if I have an unreasonable outlook on holding a job.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I don't think it was out of line. I've said the same thing! You're just being reasonable- physical injury should not be a risk of a TEACHING job. I work at a UPS hub and physical injury is a risk- but if I get hurt it'll probably be my fault, not someone else hurting me.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I think you had a right to say that since someone in your class just got hurt from another student and that you have people in your class who cannot act like adults
    robsgurl_23

Answer by robsgurl_23 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i wouldn't say you're out of line, but i think you could have said it differently, with more tact. Like "if a student is being physically combative, they should be withdrawn from the college" I remember when i was in college, teachers had the right to throw you out of their classrooms, even for good.
    Anonymous

• If something like this ever happens again just call 911 and have the person who threw the book or the first punch or whatever arrested. You aren't dealing with children. These are adults who are responsible for their own behavior and the law is there to deal with them. Yes the student should be removed from the environment before your school gets a reputation as a not safe place and enrollment drops to only dirt bags!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Nov. 4, 2009