I am 19 years old and expecting my first baby next month! Any advice for me?

32 weeks pregnant, due Decemeber 27, 2009.

ashleyxo8

Asked by ashleyxo8 at 5:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes -
    do not fall into the teen mom stereotype.

Beat the odds and show you care by choose to breastfeed, installing your car seat correctly, not partying at every chance, not relying on your parents to help feed and raise the baby, and don't give your baby a ridicuous "cool" name.
    Anonymous

• Anon 2:20... not all of us stereotype teenage mothers

OP- LOVE your baby and dont be afraid to ask for (and take) advice. Its GREAT that you are asking this question on here because alot of moms (regardless of age) think they can do it all on their own and really, I dont think any of us can!!

Here is some advice from me:) Take it or leave it but I am giving it anyways

** lay you baby down to bed AWAKE. If you do it from day 1, you shouldnt have any crying or excessive fussing

** do NOT be quite just becuase baby is sleeping. The nosier you are from the start, the more they will sleep through in the long run

** reach out for help & DONT feel bad about taking a break from baby. We all need "me" time whether we are parents or not

** DONT rush to every fuss. The baby will be OK if it takes you 2 minutes to get to it

** Research stuff you read on here before you take it as fact (ie vaccination
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Breastfeed. Don't have any bottles, pacifiers, or formula. Then you won't be tempted to use them. Find the number of a La Leche League Leader and Lactation Consultant before your baby is born and keep them with you if you have any problems.

Breastfeed in the first hour after birth. Room-in with your baby. Don't let anyone give your baby bottles or pacifiers for at least the first 6 weeks.

If you brestfeed your baby everything else about mothering can be much easier.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• UGH gailll can you possibly answer a question without preaching breastfeeding to everyone! Not everyone wants or is able to breast feed so get over it. Its people like you who turn a lot of women off to breastfeeding so you're doing the EXACT opposite of what you're trying to do

OP Just love your baby work your butt off to provide for he/she, and trust your instincts. Every baby is different. Lots of Love and Patience...that's a big one learn Patience!

Anonymous

• i was way younger than you when i got pregnant with my first kid i was 16 so i would say let your life be around that baby no partying or hanging out your there for that baby

an if offered by your mom or family tak the help very tough with your first since everything is new never be afraid to ask people about this an that it only makes u wiser an learn so good luck keep safe

by the way ill be 22 when my third baby comes!@
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• first get all the sleep you can now!! because once baby is here sleep is pretty much out of the question lol if you wanna breastfeed all the luck to you if not prepare a bottle after the last feeding so it's ready for the next makes it a little easier give your baby lots of kisses and talk to him/her as much as you can and just do your best it's hard everyone with babies/kids knows this and all we can do as parents is do our best
    your age has nothing to do with how you raise your child dont let anyone tell you other wise
    good luck!!!
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 6:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• put your baby first. you are shaping the life of another human and everything you do and don't do will affect her. And I know people get overzealous with the whole BF'ing thing. Its really really hard. It comes naturally for very few people. I struggled so hard with it, even with the help of a nationally known lactation consultant. I kept up with it because I knew how valuable it was and found a system that worked for me- pumping and only trying nursing when I felt like it. at 2 1/2 months, she started nursing! But everyone is different. My point is that this situation is parenting in a microcosm. Things that others swear by won't work and the craziest things will. You are the only expert on your child. Trust yourself and make sure you're doing everything you can to give your child a stable life. Baby, education and stability come before boys and partying. good luck!

mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 6:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I had my first when I just turned 20, and unfortunately, the first poster has a point. I felt very closely watched and even stared at when I had my daughter in public. I made sure she was always clean and that I had an extra pair of everything so I would be prepared for whatever could happen (spit up, leaky diaper etc). People are going to think what they want, all you can do is prove them wrong!
    Love, rub, and hug your baby because it helps them grow, mature emotionally, and learn to trust people.
    Sleep when your baby sleeps...even if it is at a random time of day.
    It is OKAY if you don't have the money to have a big 1st bday party.
    When you are up at 2am with a baby crying and you don't know why and you have done everything for him you can possibly think of, remember one day he will look you in your eyes and say I love you Mommy
    Lastly, love means giving more when you feel like giving up.
    I wish you the very best!!!
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

For real. Gaillll is a total weirdo. Shes like the phony Christians who turn people off to God. I'm a Christian and breastfed and hate people who act like that on both and can understand why it turns people off to it. Yuck.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon 5:20pm.. and Hun if you dont want to, or cant BF your baby thats fine, regardless of what these Idiots say it WONT MAKE U LESS OF A MOM TO BOTTLE FEED.
    Dreaminofblue82

Answer by Dreaminofblue82 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2009