Playdates for m 14 month old???

I'm a relatively young mother (23 years old) and I have a 14 month old boy who seems to show lots of interest in wanting to socialize with other kids. For example, when we're out at the store, or in a restaurant he would notice other babies his age and yell at them or struggle to get away from me and want to go up to them. Now, my problem is I don't really have anyone his age for him to play with and I feel bad that I don't. Out of all my friends I'm the first one to actually have a kid and so my friend's non-existent kids are out of the question for playdates. My husband friends have kids similar in age, but the problem there is that they live 2 hours away. As far as my neighbors, they MIGHT have kids his age. I'm not too sure though b/c I haven't really developed any sort of relationship w/ them since I barely see them to begin w/. I guess my question is: WHAT OTHER WAYS ARE THERE TO SOCIALIZE FOR MY 14 MONTH OLD BOY

scali001

Asked by scali001 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm the same, my old friends don't have kids and my DD hasn't got any cousins yet.

I don't really like the play groups - I find te mothers tend to be very competitive and judgemental (and thee tent to be a lot of "bully" toddlers at them.) So I avoid them.

I bring my daughter to the weekly library story times, and meet other moms there who tend to be much nicer, and also just taking a trip to the playground can end in meeting really nice moms with kids the same age.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Ok, I'm about to overload you with options :) First, I own a playgroup through meetup.com- if you go to the site, you'll be able to search (or start) playgroups by your zip code. Its a great way to find ladies and babies, get out of the house and do that all important socializing for the both of you. If you're in a larger area, you may even have the option of trying out several groups to see what fits your style.

And since I am an owner, its like my job to find stuff to do for little ones under 2. are there gymnastic places in your area? some do baby open gym. the park and rec book is a huge resource for open gyms and baby activities. google your town + events and you'll find cute things to do around town that are baby friendly. we have a place like the Y that has baby swim, borders and barnes and noble (and libraries) have storytimes. there's also kindermusik, music together and musikgarten for babies and stroller strides
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• you can also try looking into specialty things like baby sign classes. Churches also often have open gym times and boards that will key you in to classes around town. Honestly, if you start by trying to join a playgroup, you'll get access and reviews on all kinds of baby activities in your area. Many of the moms in my group were hesitant to join, but now don't know what they'd do without our meetups. We have events almost every day of the week, plus moms nights out/in, book club, family events etc. Don't be discouraged if you don't find a group in your area- that just means a lot of moms like you are waiting for someone to start one!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 7:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• I take my son to the library for baby story time. We also do either swimming lessons or gymnastics, depending on the season. I've met a couple of people from local groups on this site, too. Try your local MOMs or MOPS group. Meetup.com is another good place to find a local group.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 12:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2009