question about Catholic marriage

Can a Catholic and a non-baptised person get married inside the Catholic church? If they get married outside the church like at the courthouse will the church recognize it as a valid marriage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A Catholic must be married in a Catholic church by a Catholic priest/deacon or receive special permission from the bishop to be married elsewhere regardless of whether or not their fiance is baptized or not. This ensure that the couples receives premarital counciling (and if a Catholic is planning on marrying a unbaptized person the priest can talk to the couple about that). The church also feels that it has to be done that way for Catholics in order for the Church to say that a valid sacrament of marriage occurred.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If you are Catholic and marry in a Catholic Church it doesnt matter the religion of your spouse. The priest may try to suade him/her into switching to Catholicism but you wont be forced. However, the Catholic church ONLY recognizes marriage in the church. If you marry at the courthouse then you are not married in the church's eyes
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Two posters above ^ than if a Catholic marries and atheist by the JOP in the park are they not married in the eyes of the church? Will the kids be allowed to get baptised and receive sacraments? And a priest WILL marry a Catholic and an atheist in the church?

thanks so much for your help.
    Anonymous

• gets married (without the permision of the Bishop )in the park I mean. Willt he marriage not be true in the eyeys of the church
    Anonymous

• Both my sister and my cousin are heretics married in Catholic churches by politically astute priests who recognized that they could accept the marriage or lose another man from the church. Both had to vow that they would allow their children (if any) to be raised within the church, but they were married right in the sanctuary, and one only of them accepted the sacrament.

Last I heard, Catholics were not the only sect that believes if someone is not married 'their way' they aren't 'really married.'
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Two posters above ^ than if a Catholic marries and atheist by the JOP in the park are they not married in the eyes of the church?

The church recognizes that they are legally married - but not sacramentally married (or married in the "eyes of God')

Will the kids be allowed to get baptised and receive sacraments?

Probably - if the priest feels that the child will be raised in the Catholic faith.  He may postpone the baptism if he doesn't.  And he may encourage the couple to have their legal marriage 'convalidated' (also called 'blessed') by the church.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• And a priest WILL marry a Catholic and an atheist in the church?

He can.  They will probably have you go through counciling and make sure you talk about the differences in your religious beliefs, how that will affect your marriage and how you raise children.  The athiest will have to agree not to stand in the way of the Catholic parent raising the children in the Catholic church.  But it's certainly possible.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Last I heard, Catholics were not the only sect that believes if someone is not married 'their way' they aren't 'really married.'

That's not really true about Catholics.  Catholic rules about marriage apply only to Catholics (which makes sense).  Catholics don't say everyone has to be married in a Catholic church for it to be valid.  The Catholic Church would recognize two baptized Christians married in a Protestant church as sacramental just like two Catholics married in a Catholic church.   The Catholic Church recognizes the marriage between two Jewish people as a "natural" marriage just like they'd recognize a marriage between a Catholic and a Jew (or an athiest) married in a Catholic Church.  In all these examples the people are "really married".

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• The children can be baptized and receive the sacrements but will always be looked at as a bastard within the eyes of the church. Been there, done that, one reason why I left. Happily married mom and dad, dad not catholic, so I was forevermore treated as an illegitimate child by fellow congragents and clergy.
    Anonymous

• really anon :59? Because I was an unwed mother of 2 kids living with their non-Catholic dad. I was invited to take communion and never looked at. In fact, it was the loving way we were accepted and never looked down on that brought MY HUSBAND (not Catholic) to say we need to do right and get married. He also insisted on the baptizing of ALL our kids.

You have reported so many bad experiences from the Catholic church. I have been a members for the better part of 30 years and 5 parishes and never experienced the repeatedly abuse you had. I am sorry you went through this. I will pray for your heart to be open and forgive the humans of the church.
    Anonymous