How can I get my 5 yr old to stop wetting her pants?

My 5 year old daughter refuses to stop wetting her pants. She has been potty trained for years but just won't get up to use the potty when she needs to go. The dr. said that there is no physical problem causing it. And the other problem is, she has no problem sitting in wet pants. Please Help!!

LittleBit82

Asked by LittleBit82 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm confused, don't potty trained mean that the child goes potty and never uses the potty on self? Hmmmm if your child pee's on herself then she's NOT potty trained! Sorry but it is what it is.
    Anonymous

• I'm not trying to be rude but i know if my child is potty trained or not. She knows that she is supposed to go to the potty and not wet her pants. Sometimes, she will get up and go to the potty without even being told, but sometimes she will just sit there and wet her pants. So in the future, don't tell me that my 5 year old child is not potty trained! Will someone with a GOOD answer to my question please help?!
    LittleBit82

Answer by LittleBit82 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Have you tried making her clean it all up by herself? When my 6 y/o wets her bed she is responsible for undressing her wet self, taking a wash cloth and washing with soap and water her peed on body parts, has to strip down her bed, disinfect her mattress (she doesn't know she has rubber mattress pads), re-make her bed, re-dress herself, carry her stuff to the laundry room, load the washer with her peed on things, put them in the dryer, into the laundry basket, fold them, put them away....etc. Needless to say, she's only had to do that twice and hasn't since. We started with just cleaning herself up, and now it's a whole long list because now it's the labor that's not fun. She gets up from the bed now instead of peeing in it.
    midnightshadow2

Answer by midnightshadow2 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• Hi molly here I have been throught that and I still am going throught it now I have some great idea's lets chat mollyanderson19@yahoo.com
    missmolly376

Answer by missmolly376 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2009

• I am going through the same thing with my daughter. Notice the rude answer was from "anonymous." They know they are being rude and so are afraid to identify themselves. My daughter is potty trained. She recently started going in her pants, especially when she is busy doing something she doesn't want to be interrupted from. She give excuses like "I forgot to go to the potty" or "I couldn't make it", even though she was able to hold it for a while in the past. We have taken away things (missed Maple Festival this past weekend, then playdate with a neighbor). She cries about losing something, but still wets herself. She does it in school too, and says "the wood chips were wet" when she sat on the playground, etc., and doesn't tell us. I am out of ideas!
    CLTPhoto

Answer by CLTPhoto at 2:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I am currently involved with the potty training of my 5 year old cousin. A few months ago she had been "promoted" to big girl panties, and when I would babysit her she would only wet herself once a day at the most. Now she has been reverted back to diapers because she wets herself almost every time she has to go. Like the other mothers writing here, we have tried calmly explaining to her, time outs, spanking, rewards, and everything in between. It may be due to some changes in her life such as the disappearance of her father's girlfriend, or the change of babysitters or both. I like the idea of having her clean herself up and make it a long task so as to show her how much more trouble it is to wet her pants, and that it is not easier than going to the bathroom.
    RaylenJoy

Answer by RaylenJoy at 12:35 PM on Aug. 15, 2013

• Did you ever figure out what to do about this? I have the same situation and am totally out of ideas. Thanks.
    awadams1

Answer by awadams1 at 1:09 AM on Jul. 18, 2014