My 18 month old son has started to tell us when he poops after the fact. Any ideas how to teach him to let us know beforehand? We haven't started potty training yet, but will soon.

jen282

Asked by jen282 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my kids, when I was potty training, I would say, "oh no!!! You need to do that in the potty. Hurry, hurry and you can finish it in the potty." Then I would strip them down FAST and put them on the toilet. Eventually they would tell me after they went a little bit and finish up on the toilet. Then they started letting me know before they had to go. Though we are still working on letting me know every time!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• i agree with micheledo.
    If you want him to start telling you that he needs to go BEFORE he is going then you need to get him in the habit of sitting on the toilet now. It takes a lot of practice and patient's for LO's to learn all the ques. And they don't really understand that they have to pay attention to it until you start training them. I bought a little toilet for my DS when he was 18 months old. I wasn't expecting to start that soon, but he was telling me when he had gone poop so i decided it would be a nice little intro for what was going to come in a few months.
    But he LOVED his potty chair and he caught on QUICK! I was so impressed. He started at 18 months and was totally trained at about ...26 months or so. Which is pretty early for a boy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• That was normal behavior for all 5 that I potty trained. At 18 months it is a good sign. They are letting you know they don't want it in their diaper. As the first poster noted I too would say "Oh...hurry, hurry. hurry..lets go to the potty. Even before we were in full blown training. They caught on sooner and sooner over time. Anytime any poop went in a potty I made a big deal. As they progressed we did stickers.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2009