potty trainin

Ok i have a 3yr old daughter. and sometimes she will go 2 days with tryin to go in the potty then she will go 2 months without tryin at all. Im so not understanding this. ANyone have any ideas at all?

blbyford

Asked by blbyford at 6:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The idea that children should potty train themselves when they're "ready" is a new and very "american" idea. Most countries around the world begin elimination training at birth and their children are perfectly able to keep from soiling themselves at much younger ages then most children in the US. If you're ready to be done with diapers- be done with diapers. You take the lead in potty training. Keep it fun- we're using the halloween candy with our almost 2yo and she's not using any diapers during day's at home.

Make the decision- stick to it- be consistant.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 6:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• It is ordinary for kids to approach learning something with curiosity and enthusiasm and then seem to drop it completely.

Having explored it sufficiently for the moment, they move on to other things, and then integrate what they've learned, quietly in the background (invisible to onlookers, mostly out of the awareness of the learner, too), only to suddenly master it, seemingly overnight.

People who don't trust the process seek to push it, or force it or pull it up by the roots to 'make sure something is really happening' because as a culture we're really uncomfortable with processes, and the process of 'becoming' in a way that is nearly psychotic. We just can't believe that they'll ever grow out of diapers (or whatever) without being forced...

At least not until they're outgrowing rules and curfews and need to be forced to stop growing at their own pace.

Overzealous toilet training causes a lot of problems in kids.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• If you go to my page you can see how I potty trained and you are more than welcome to mp me with any questions you might have. I potty trained my oldest DD fully by 19 months still wore a diaper to bed and nap until 23 months for nap and 26 months for bed, but then we had a baby 3 months before she turned 3 started wetting the bed again she is 4.5 years and just stopped wetting the bed I think it was jelousy though cause as soon as I got the youngest potty trained she stopped wetting the bed again. My youngest is 21 months she has been fully potty trained sinse she was 20 months old she doesn't even wear diapers to bed or naptime anymore she can't tell me when she has to go though so I just take her periodicly.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You're the parent. Be the parent. Give her some big kid underwear and sit her on the toilet every two hours. Potty training really isn't difficult. What most parents of older children who are potty training fail to realize is that parents have to put forth the effort as well. Potty training isn't some magical thing that happens to happen. And it shouldn't be solely the child's responsibility either. Both my kids were potty trained way before they were two, and they have absolutely no problems later in life.
    Anonymous

• You have to put her in big girl panties all and every day. Diapers only at night.
    Anonymous

• I know it can be very fustrating to potty train your child.

1. You have to make it fun for your child. Try rewarding them when he/she uses the potty- I would sing a " I used the potty " song and do a little dance for my daughter everytime she used the potty.
    She really liked it and look forward to it when she used the potty.

2. Be consistent.

3. Develop a schedule for your child. Take your child every morning, early in the morning, before he/she goes on his/her self. And every night before going to bed.

4. Try taking your child every two hours to the potty and 15- 20 minutes after drinking fluids.

5. Encourage him/her even if he/she does not use the potty. Let him/her know it's always next time.

6. Be PATIENT!!!

Hope this helps.
    muffinslady

Answer by muffinslady at 9:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2009